Skip to main content

ClearPlay

I am almost done Christmas shopping, it feels so good to say that.  I got to sit and chat with my really good friend for several hours yesterday as our children slept and others played.  It is nice to have another woman to talk to.  Then I got to snuggle up to my husband and watch a movie.  Thank heaven's for ClearPlay (a DVD player that you can purchase that will edit movies to your personal level of comfort in terms of language, violence, sex, etc.)  We rented a movie and watched it with ClearPlay and noticed a few times where it had skipped.  So since it had seemed such an innocent movie and because it ended completely different than we expected we wanted to watch it again but decided to turn off ClearPlay.  Then the true movie came out.  We only  had to watch for about 2 min. before we realized that the innocent movie we thought we had seen was not so innocent and that those skipped scenes were skipped for a reason.  So we turned the ClearPlay back on and watched until I fell asleep.



I am reading a talk given by Bonnie L. Oscarson, Young Women General President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (click here to read the talk)
 
" . . . we must do the work first and exercise faith by living the gospel, and then we will receive the witness that it is true. True conversion occurs as you continue to act upon the doctrines you know are true and keep the commandments, day after day, month after month."--I think this applies to me playing with my kids.  Not one of my favorite activities.  I keep praying that I will enjoy playing with my kids but it has not happened.  Maybe I need to play with them in order for me to know the joy that comes from playing with them.

"Conversion takes place as we are diligent about saying our prayers, studying our scriptures, attending church, and being worthy to participate in temple ordinances. Conversion comes as we act upon the righteous principles we learn in our homes and in the classroom. Conversion comes as we live pure and virtuous lives and enjoy the companionship of the Holy Ghost. Conversion comes as we understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ, acknowledge Him as our Savior and Redeemer, and allow the Atonement to take effect in our lives."
 
"As you are converted, you will have a desire to share with others what you have learned, and your confidence and ability to testify to others with conviction and power will increase."--While I was Christmas shopping I happened upon an 85 year old woman who lost her husband not too long ago.  She needed someone to listen to her and know how much she missed her husband.  I suddenly felt the strong impression to tell her about eternal families and that she could see her husband again someday.  As I did I felt the Lord's Spirit, right there in the middle of the store.  I gave her a pass along card, a hug and then we went our separate ways.  I felt blessed to have been able to talk to her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P...

Depression

These past few days have been difficult emotionally.  Not nearly as bad as they could be but still very annoying.  I am tired and moody.  I have been trying to exercise daily and to keep busy but the week is just dragging on and I am grumpy.  One of the hardest things for me during this time is not being able to hear the promptings of the Holy Ghost.  It makes me anxious and I feel lost, that I don't know what to do, that I don't know what is important or where to step.  I know that this will soon pass but it is hard to deal with it sometimes.  I wish I could just curl up in bed and stay there until I felt better but I know this is not possible and it probably isn't the healthiest thing either. My friend shared this video with me about Depression.  I really liked how there were so many truths portrayed, so many examples of how I feel as well as good solutions and the truth that this can be overcome, not gone but controlled.  It is entitled:...

You are so Beautiful/Israel of Old

Maddie had her Christmas Program at preschool.  As we got ready for the program she put on a red velvet dress and we did her hair in pigtails.  She then told me she had to put on her cute eyes so she fluttured her eyelashes and then looked up at me.  She is adorable and loves to use that to her advantage.  She is the beautiful one on the top row far right. After the Program Grandmommy took us out for lunch.  She went into the play area while we waited for our food.  When we all sat down to eat she told us that there was a boy in the play area who told her that she was beautiful.  He made quite an impression upon her.  Boys always have a great influence upon us women even when we are only 4. We Are a Covenant-making People , Elder Joseph Anderson , of the First Quorum of the Seventy "However, Israel of old failed to keep the covenants, and as a result the Lord was displeased with them and calamities befell ...