Skip to main content

Wood Shop/Family

My darling husband had the kids Saturday night while I went to Les Miserables with my sister in law (We had gotten tickets for Christmas.)  He put all the kids in the garage and let them build.  It was fun to see them so excited.  What a great hubby I have.












I have been studying the Teachings of Presidents of the Church Joseph Fielding Smith Chapter 4: Strengthening and Preserving the Family This has really caused me to think about what kind of mother I am and how I need to be.  Here are some of my favorite quotes and some of my thoughts:
"As the forces of evil attack the individual by tearing away at his family roots, it becomes critical for Latter-day Saint parents to maintain and strengthen the family. There may possibly be a few very strong individuals who can survive without the support of a family, but more of us need the love, teaching, and acceptance that come from those who care very deeply. 9"
I need to put more focus on the family. Derek and I talked about reserving one Saturday a month for the family. I think we need to do that.
"The hope of eternal life, including the reuniting of the members of the family when the resurrection comes, brings to the heart greater love and affection for each member of the family. With this hope, husbands are inclined to love their wives with a stronger and more holy love; and wives in like manner love their husbands. The tender feeling and solicitude on the part of parents for their children is increased, for the children become endeared to them with bands of love and happiness which cannot be broken. 19"
This gives me hope that because I was married in the temple that I can have tender feelings for my children increase, that they will become endeared to me with love and happiness. I feel so blessed to have these great promises because I was married in the temple. I would not trade that for anything.
"The primary function of a Latter-day Saint home is to insure that every member of the family works to create the climate and conditions in which all can grow toward perfection. For parents, this requires a dedication of time and energy far beyond the mere providing of their children’s physical needs. For children, this means controlling the natural tendency toward selfishness."
"If I had to suggest one thing which I think we as parents are most lacking, it would be a sympathetic understanding of our children. Live with the children; follow their paths. … Know everything that claims the interest of the children, be a good sport with them. 22"
I need to be better about havining sympathy for my children. I was blessed in my patriarchal blessing with empathy for my children. I need to rely on that gift. It is hard to focus more on them when so much of my time is given to the household chores. Cleaning, laundry, preparing food, all necessary but how do I get those things done and still spend quality time with my children?

"119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;"
It's okay to be organized and prepared. We need to pray, fast, have faith, learn, have happiness, not be crazy running around. It is okay to have order.  But I need to make sure that I don't let that order become excessive and take the place of being with my children.  I think Satan uses that as an excuse for me as to why I can't help my child figure something out, or look at the castle, or play the 5 min game, etc.
 
D&C 93:44
"therefore, first set in order thy house."
Again it is said to get your family in order. I need to take care of them first.

D&C 93:48
"Your family must needs repent and forsake some things, and give more earnest heed unto your sayings, or"
Family again needing to change.

D&C 93:50
"and set in order his family, and see that they are more diligent and concerned at home, and pray"
Put family in order and pray.

D&C 93:43
"you shall set in order your own house,"
Take care of the family and everything else will work out. I have been trying hard the last two days to do this. And I do see a small difference. I will continue.
I wondered what the background was. This is what I found:
http://www.ldsces.org/inst_manuals/dc-in/dc-in-091.htm
D&C 93:41-50
The Lord spoke to Frederick G. Williams, Sidney Rigdon, the Prophet Joseph Smith, and Newel K. Whitney in turn about the seriousness of neglecting their families. President Spencer W. Kimball said:
“In modern times the Lord said, ‘Now, I, the Lord, am not well pleased with the inhabitants of Zion, for there are idlers among them; and their children are also growing up in wickedness.’ (D&C 68:31.) We do not rear children just to please our vanity. We bring children into the world to become kings and queens, priests and priestesses for our Lord.
“To Frederick G. Williams, the Lord said, D&C 93:41-43.
“Turning to Sidney Rigdon, the Lord charged, D&C 93:44.
“And then the Lord said, ‘What I say unto one I say unto all; pray always lest that wicked one have power in you, and remove you out of your place.’ (D&C 93:49.)
“How sad if the Lord should charge any of us parents with having failed to teach our children. Truly a tremendous responsibility falls upon a couple when they bring children into the world. Not only food, clothes, and shelter are required of them, but loving, kindly disciplining, teaching, and training. “Of course, there are a few disobedient souls regardless of training and teaching, but the great majority of children respond to such parental guidance. The scripture says, ‘Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.’ (Prov. 22:6.) And if he departs, he will probably return if he has been brought up in the right way.” (“Train Up a Child,” Ensign, Apr. 1978, pp. 4-5.)


Made me realize even more that just cleaning the house and making dinner is not enough. I need to teach my children.
I took 5 min with Elizabeth Monday night and 5 min. with Samantha last night to read scriptures. It did make a difference. I will continue to do this.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.