Skip to main content

John Derek IEP Meeting/

John Derek is bairly passing 1st grade.  He is constantly teatering between failing and passing.  He does fine in every subject except reading.  This is a subject that he needs to survive in this world.  I have been worried about him.  The Lord has been directing me with what to do about hime and he helped me again.

When John Derek was almost 5 he was able to go to Kindergarten.  I felt that he was too young but the Lord told me I should send him so I did.  Half way through the year I took him out because again I felt it was the direction of the Lord and he needed one more year to truly be ready for school.

In Kindergarten that next year he was struggling with his ABC's.  He received extra help and by the end of the year he was back on track with the rest of his class.

In 1st grade I noticed that he started falling behind again.  I talked with my neighbror about her son and the difficulty that she has been facing because he is having trouble with his reading but that it was not identified a problem until 3rd grade.  I did not want this to happen to John Derek.  So I met with his teacher and others to discuss his education.  The Spirit really helped me during the meeting and I reiterated how he has already been held back once and yes he may be passing 1st grade but he should be in 2nd.  If he were in 2nd he would be failing.  They agreed to do some testing.

I went to another meeting to discuss the results of this testing.  Derek was at work but I felt the Spirit of the Lord with me.  I had sent a letter to the woman incharge explaining John Derek's history.  When I went into the meeting she said that looking at his scores she did not see a reason to consider having him evaluated for Special Education but agter reading my letter she really understood that maybe he did need help.  The team was very kind and went back and forth about having him evaluated.  We discussed several options.  They explained to me that by law I can request to have him evaluated 1 time in his school career.  Again, everything hinged on that he has already been retained.  They finally decided to not have him evaluated and to try more interventions.  I prayed to know if this was right and felt the reasuring of Heavenly Father that I had to stand up for John Derek and request that he be evaluated for Special Education. I knew that if we just did more interventions that I would be back at this table with more time gone and have to make the request so I requested that he be evaluated.  After saying that I felt a huge weight off of my shoulders.  As we left the meeting all the team agreed that they thought we were making the right decision.  I was so grateful to my Heavenly Father for helping me out and being right there to hold my had during this process and reasure me that I was making the right decision.

On the way home I was praying in gratitude and said, "Thank you for having me put him into Kindergarten that year I wanted to hold him back.  Without that on his record I wouldn't have a leg to stand on."  I was then reminded that I did not want to send him to school that first year and that I complained against the Lord's judgement and didn't understand why.  Then when I pulled him out I again questioned why I had put him in.  I was reminded the the Lord loves John Derek and has a plan for him and if I will trust in Heavenly Father everything will work out.  That I need to let the Lord do what He wants done.  I was then reminded about Elizabeth and how I don't like the school she is at.  I was told that the Lord has a plan for her that I may not understand it now but that she is in the Lord's hands and that she is there for a reason.  I may not understand why now but to let it go and trust in Heavenly Father.  I told the Lord I would stop complaining and would let Him do what He needs to do to take care of her.

I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for being there for me.  For loving me and my children so much.  For taking care of us and haveing pateience with me over and over and over again.  What a blessing it is to have the Lord on my side. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.