Skip to main content

Speech/Teaching Children

Derek got me a new cell phone for "Christmas."  It is so fun but I can't get it to display my pictures onto my blog account.  So that is why I haven't done anything for a few days.  I am still working on the pictures.

But good news Maddie today started Speech Therapy.  We have had a hard time understanding her for a while now and it hasn't gotten better.  Today the therapist called and we scheduled when she will be coming in.  We even got to start today.  She had fun and is looking forward to next time.  I feel blessed that the School System is paying for it, that we can do it so close to home, and that we got this figured out now and not in Kindergarten.



 Also, today I got an email from PNP (Portable North Pole). It is a fabulous website that every year has a video that you can send your kids via email from Santa.  You can customize it to each of your children and even choose if they are naughty or nice.  We love it and have been doing it for the last several years.  My kids look forward to it every year.  Best of all it is free. (Click Here to access the website)

Today I read an article in the Ensign, our Church magazine, entitled Helping Children Recognize the Holy Ghost, by Merrilee Browne Boyack. (Click Here to read/listen to the article.) I enjoyed getting ideas of things I can do to help my family recognize the Holy Ghost.  So often I feel that I need to do something but don't know how to apply it in real life.

the Holy Ghost often teaches our children in the ways they learn best--This is very important to realize.  I need to observe each of my children and try to help them recognize how the Holy Ghost talks to them.  The other day we were on our way to my Aunt's home for Thanksgiving and we got in traffic.  It was getting to be rush hour time and we really didn't want to get caught up in D.C. traffic, but here we were.  And to make it worse Michael had had it.  He was crying and everyone was on edge.  I felt the prompting to pray that we could get out of traffic and get to my Aunt's home quickly.  We said a prayer as a family and Derek decided to turn off the freeway and take a side road.  As soon as we did that we had not traffic.  It was amazing.  We were almost the only ones on the road going our direction.  The other side of the road was an ocean of headlights.  The kids were amazed.  After about 5 min. of driving this way John Derek sat up and full of excitement and discovery he said, "This is because we prayed.  We prayed that there would not be any traffic and now there is no traffic.  Heavenly Father did this."  He had caught the light.  I knew that this is why I had been prompted to pray.  Yes to help our family get to my Aunt's house easier but mostly so that a little boy could witness a miracle.  On the way home we again got in traffic.  After sitting for 40 min. John Derek suggested we pray.  This him he offered the prayer and within min. we were moving and we were able to drive all the way home.  It was a sweet experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.