Skip to main content

Priesthood/Children

Elizabeth is having a difficult time becoming a young woman and all the "joys" that go with it.  She was complaining that boys have it so easy which led her into "Why do the boys get the priesthood and we don't?"  That is a question that I have battled for years.  Over time, when I was ready, the Lord would tell me a little.  And sure enough little by little my heart changed until I was able to easily explain to my daughter why boys get the priesthood and women get to be nurturers. 



It is amazing to me how Satan has put such a rift in our society.  He has made such a competition between men and women.  He has made the women feel that they need to be like the men but never has he made the man feel that he needs to be like a woman.  If we women would value our role in this world, see the importance of being a nurturer as our ancestors did we would not feel oppressed or degrated. 

Yes, it is true that in history women have been oppressed in several ways and even in some countries it is still that way and yes, our society has come a long way in helping women be able to have good jobs and live good lives.  But, our socitey is also taking away the value of a woman.  We are loosing the honor of being a mother, a homemaker, a care taker, a wife.  As we women focuse more on ourselves and more on being equal with men we loose who we are and who the Lord wants us to be. 

My biggest revelation came when I realized that it is not a competition.  Heavenly Father did not decide that He loves men more so He gave them the priesthood and that He loves women less so they should raise the children.  NO!! a loving Heavenly Father would not do that.  He loves all His children equally.  He loves the men just as much as He loves the women.  We have to change our perspective and realize that He gives women His most precious possession, His children.  He entrusts them to us, He has Faith is us.  God does not think that having children is degrating.  That is one of Satan's lies.  He gave us the highest honor He could.  He gave us what we need to do to return to live with Him again.  Being a mother humbles us and makes us rely on our Heavenly Father just as being a priesthood holder humbles a man and makes him rely on his Heavenly Father.  God gave us what we needed to return to live with Him and what He needed to help all His children.

I am grateful to my Father in Heaven for His love and patience with me.  For helping me to have a change of heart and for helping me look through His eyes instead of the eyes of the world.

Today I watched this video about Christ teaching that we must become like little children:


It got me pondering about Matthew 18:5 “And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me” 

I then found a talk Behold Your Little Ones, by Margaret S. Lifferth, First Counselor in the Primary General Presidency:
  
"As we seek Him and His Spirit to help us, we will see a miracle. We will recognize that our own hearts are changing and we too are becoming “submissive, meek, humble, patient, [and] full of love” ( Mosiah 3:19 ). We too will reflect the light of the gospel in our own countenance. We will come to understand these words of the Savior: “And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me” ( Matthew 18:5 )."
--I want to come to understand the words of the Savior: "And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me." (Matt 18:5) As I think about my life and my early decision to not have any children and now to have five I wonder if I am following this scripture. Does it me that because I have had the children that God wanted me to have that I have received Christ?

"Brothers and sisters, as a mother and a Primary leader, I know this work with children is not easy. Protecting, teaching, and loving children can be demanding, often discouraging, sometimes exhausting, and occasionally the fruits of our efforts are long delayed. But it is precisely because it is not easy to bring children to the Savior that we must come to Him ourselves. 

As we seek Him and His Spirit to help us, we will see a miracle. We will recognize that our own hearts are changing and we too are becoming “submissive, meek, humble, patient, [and] full of love” ( Mosiah 3:19 ). We too will reflect the light of the gospel in our own countenance. We will come to understand these words of the Savior: “And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me” ( Matthew 18:5 )."
--Having children brings me closer to my Heavenly Father.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.