Skip to main content

John Derek/Fear

I have been worried a while now about John Derek and his ability or lack of ability to read.  The last few weeks I feel that the Lord has really guided me to know what I should do for him.  I ended up talking to my neighbor a while ago about her son and the frustrations she has gone through with our school system.  How she felt that they didn't help him until he was failing and now he is far behind his peers and that is is affecting him emotinally as well.



I did not want this for my son so I sent an email to his teacher telling her his history and the learning concernses we have had.  She wrote back and had set up a meeting with some other people at school to discuss him and discuss the best action we could take.

Derek and I attended that meeting yesterday.  I was amazed at how strongly I felt the Spirit guiding me to know what to say and when to say it.  They said that he is so close to being at grade level that maybe he just needs a little more practice.  Then the vice principal asked if I wanted to have him evaluated.  I immediately teared up and felt that this is exactly what he needs right now.  Then I felt the words coming out of my mouth that I knew I had not put there.  I explained that he was the oldest in his class, that we have already held him back, he has been in Kindergarten for 1 and 1/2 years, and that he really should be at the top of his class not the bottom.  That finally convinced the teachers and they all agreed that he should be evaluated.  I was so grateful to Heavenly Father for helping us out.  As we left Derek said, "I could tell that the Spirit was with you so I just kept my mouth shut and let you keep going because you were saying exactly what needed to be said."

I am so grateful to a Heavenly Father who loves us and is helping our family out so much.  Since Derek has been made Bishop Samantha has started therapy for her emotions, John Derek will now be evaluated for reading, and Maddie has started speech therapy.  I think the Lord is taking care of us.  We are working on things now that could be huge problems in the future.  I feel that this is a blessing because of Derek's and our sacrifice.  I really feel the Lord's hand in our lives and I cherish it.



13 And whoso alayeth down his life in my cause, for my name’s sake, shall find it again, even life eternal.
14 Therefore, be not aafraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart, saith the Lord, that I will bprove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, ceven unto death, that you may be found worthy.
 15 For if ye will not abide in my covenant ye are not worthy of me.

--Sometimes I fear the future.  Fear the wickedness of people and what they might do that might change the way I live my life.  For natural disasters and how they will change the dynamics around me.  But then I remember the promises of my Heavenly Father, that I have no need to fear.  That even if I died because of what I believe in that the Lord is still taking care of me.  That this life is just a piece of our existence, that there is such a bigger picture that we can't even see.  It's like being zoomed up on a photograph where you can barely make out a flower but as we zoom back we realize that we are part of an amazing meadow with mountains and streams but we never saw it because we were too focused on the flower and didn't know that there was more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.