Skip to main content

Christmas Tree/Sleep/Appetite


We went and got our Christmas Tree.  We always go to the same Christmas Tree lot every year.  They have a rope swing that keeps the kids occupied while Derek and I look for a tree.  This year we invited our friend Keith and his dog Sarah to join us.


I usually pride myself in not being picky and quickly choosing a tree.  This year however I had a much more difficult time.  I finally just let Derek and Elizabeth decide and we came home with a great tree.  (It was one of the first ones I picked out but others didn't like it.)


We came home and had hot chocolate and peanut butter cookies that Elizabeth had made.  It was a great Family Home Evening.


Maddie often has a hard time sleeping at night because of bad dreams.  Tonight she came in our room at 3:30.  Usually she just sleeps on our floor and everything is fine but tonight she didn't got back to sleep.  Finally at 4:30 I had her come in another room with me and I read scriptures while she watched the computer screen and laid on a recliner.  She finally fell asleep.  I went over and moved the books she had been looking at and proped her head up.  She woke up slightly, smiled as I tucked the blankets around her, and fell asleep with a smile of utter contentment and peace.  Those are the moments I enjoy being a mom.  To know that I can bring comfort and peace to my children.  That I can make it all better and then see their satisfaction and joy.  It was sweet.


Today I finished reading a talk given by Elder Russel M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (click here to read/listen/watch)

We can change our behavior. Our very desires can change. How? There is only one way. True change—permanent change—can come only through the healing, cleansing, and enabling power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.26 He loves you—each of you!27 He allows you to access His power as you keep His commandments, eagerly, earnestly, and exactly. It is that simple and certain. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of change!28

A strong human spirit with control over appetites of the flesh is master over emotions and passions and not a slave to them. That kind of freedom is as vital to the spirit as oxygen is to the body! Freedom from self-slavery is true liberation!29--I can master food and exercise. I do desire to master this. To be the ruler over food instead of food being the ruler over me. To love exercise instead of dreading it. This is something that I will pray for and I will pray if it is the right thing for me to focus on right now.

Regardless of what civil legislation may be enacted, the doctrine of the Lord regarding marriage and morality cannot be changed.37 Remember: sin, even if legalized by man, is still sin in the eyes of God!
 
While we are to emulate our Savior’s kindness and compassion, while we are to value the rights and feelings of all of God’s children, we cannot change His doctrine. It is not ours to change. His doctrine is ours to study, understand, and uphold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.