Skip to main content

Morning Goodbys/Enduring to the End

In the morning Derek is so sweet and takes the kids to school for me.  We first started doing this last year as I was pregnant and so grateful for the extra sleep.  Maddie always had a hard time saying goodbye so she and I would sit on the steps of the garage and make faces and blow kisses to Daddy, Elizabeth, Samantha, and John Derek. 



Michael has now entered the family so when we sat on the steps he hoped on my lap and started waving both his hands as hard as he could.  This got everyone waving as hard as they could and I couldn't help but share it with all of you.

It is hard to see in the truck but I just loved everyone waving as hard as they could.  What a joyful family.



I am grateful for the priesthood.  (The priesthood is the power of God given to man, as in anchent days was given to the apostles.  Today the priesthood has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith.  Every worth male member of our church has the opportunity to receive this power of God.  It can be used to bless the sick, administer the sacrament, and many other things.)  I am so grateful that my husband is worthy and able to give blessings at a moments notice.  Michael and I have colds and were not feeling very good last night.  Derek gave a blessing to both of us and we both slept through the night and are doing much better this morning. 

This morning I read a talk given by Elder Richard J. Maynes, of the Presidency of the Seventy (click here to read/watch/listen to his talk)

The race that is set before us on this earth is an endurance race filled with obstacles. The obstacles in this race are the challenges we wake up to each morning. We are here on earth to run the race, to exercise our moral agency, and to choose between right and wrong. In order to honorably and successfully finish the race and return to our Heavenly Father, we will need to pay the price of dedication, perseverance, and self-discipline. We need to get into spiritual shape. We need to develop spiritual stamina. We need strong testimonies that will lead to true conversion, and as a result we will find within ourselves the inner peace and strength needed to endure whatever challenges we may face.--Sometimes it sounds so easy, that all we have to do is stay true to the faith.  Then come the challenges of school, teaching a young man to read, colds, fatigue, potty training, money, and even though these things don't really determine our standing with our Heavenly Father they do affect who we are and how we do things.  I am really good at making the little things into a big deal.  Again this morning I went to the Lord in tears for help with my day.  As I turned the day over to Him I felt peace.  That all would get done and what He wanted done would be accomplished.  I think right now I am being taught the lesson to turn it all over to Him.  To not do it on my own, because when I try to handle it, I loose it.  I will continue to try to learn.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.