Skip to main content

Blessings

It was an emotional day.  Recently my husband was called to be bishop of our ward/congregation.  This is not a paid position, this is not something that we campaign to receive or even ask for.  It is a position that our leaders extend to certain individuals for a certain amount of time.  It is extended through our leaders but it is a calling from the Lord.  We know that this is His will and it comes from Him not from man.  It is an honor and it is humbling to receive.  My husband may have been the one to receive the calling but it effects our whole family in good and difficult ways.

I am still getting used to the idea of having him gone a lot to meetings and other responsibilities.  We have a wonderful relationship full of love and friendship.  He truly is my best friend and I share everything with him.  He is very involved in our family and helps me out in so many ways.  He is amazing.  I often call him "Superman" because he is in so many ways.  So it has been difficult to have this added pressure on his time.

My Best Friend


Just like everyone else I have my good days and my not so good ones and I had a not so good one.  But I did feel my Heavenly Father with me.  My sweet mother called and asked how I was doing.  I was blessed that I could talk to her without interuption for 45 min. as I drove to the Temple.  I was then blessed to be in the House of the Lord where I could feel His love and feel closer to Him.  When I returned to my friends home who had been watching Maddie and Michael she listened and gave good council.  I am blessed to have such a good friend.  That evening when things were not going well I was blessed to be able to go to my in-laws home and bask in their love.  I felt so blessed to be surrounded by family and friends to lift me up when emotionally I just didn't have the strength. 

This is the blessing that I have been feeling as my husband has been called to be Bishop.  I have felt the arms of the Lord around me and around my family.  I am in constant prayer to him and am always searching for ways to do His will.  And on those days that it is hard I feel His love.  He puts people around me to help and strengthens me to be able to continue on.  I may have to share my husband more but I also feel the Lord making up the difference.

Today I read a talk by President Henry B. Eyring, 1st Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (click here to read/watch/listen.)

"You asked some already heavily burdened, knowing that the greater the sacrifice, the greater the compensation they will receive from the Lord. Those who have helped in the past have felt the overflowing gratitude of the Savior."--Our family may be young and it may be very difficult at times to have Derek be bishop but I know that the Lord will give us the "compensation" that we need.  That we are blessed and that He is doing this for the good of our family.  This will make us stronger as a family, stronger in our relationship with our Savior.  I do not regret the decision to accept this call of the Lord.

“Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man."--I have had this happen in my life.  I know that as I continue to study the words of the Lord that He will bless me to know what to say and when to say it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.