Skip to main content

Our Puppy

It was Michael's day to be cute.  He loves to play pass the ball.  He will pounce on it like a lion attacking its prey.  Hold it in one hand and then fling his arm forward and at some random point in that throw he will release the ball, sometimes behind his head sending the ball backwards, but most of the time he will throw it forward.  He usually ends with a clap if I am able to get the ball he threw.

The other day we were playing this game, but he kept releasing the ball behind his head and sending it backwards.  He would then spin around get on all fours and scurry after the ball.  But when he go to the ball he couldn't figure out how to hold the ball and crawl back to me.  After picking it up and dropping it several times he finally laughed, put it in his mouth, and with squeals of delight, muffled by rubber ball, he raced back to me as fast as he could and released the ball into my lap looking like a little puppy.



I felt the Lord's hand again.  It was a full day with laundry, cleaning, instructing, and taking care of kids.  But I had gotten everything done, put the lasagna in the oven and set it to start while I was at an appointment so that as soon as I got home we could eat dinner.  The appointment took longer than I anticipated, I had programed the oven wrong so it did not turn on, everyone was starving and it was 6:20 when I started hamburgers and hot dogs, Derek was calling to say he would be late from work, there was no homework done, and the list goes on.

But I was blessed with great patience.  I still had my moments of frustration and yes even yelling but I never felt overwhelmed or out of control.  I felt that the Lord was guiding me, giving me good ideas and everything was able to get done and we moved on.

Today I get to go the the Temple, a sacred place that I make promises to my Heavenly Father and can feel His Spirit.  I always feel good when I go.  I feel His peace and love and I am rejuvenated and ready to press forward and face the challenges of life with the right perspective and with the hope I need.

Today I am continuing to read from a talk given by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 2nd Counselor in the 1st Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (click here to watch/listen/read the whole talk):


"If we see healthy eating and exercise as something only our doctor expects of us, we will likely fail. If we see these choices as who we are and who we want to become, we have a greater chance of staying the course and succeeding."--This is who I need to become with my eating and exercising habits.  I know I am so much happier with myself when I am eating right and exercising, that is who I need to want to be.

"If we see home teaching as only the stake president’s goal, we may place a lower value on doing it. If we see it as our goal—something we desire to do in order to become more Christlike and minister to others—we will not only fulfill our commitment but also accomplish it in a way that blesses the families we visit and our own as well."--The home teachers (a set of men who come over once a month to give us an uplifting message and who we can call on if we are in need of something) came over last night, another thing that was not in my plan.)  We have been assigned two new home teachers one I know pretty well and the other I have only interacted with on brief occasions.  Wow was I impressed.  We have not had home teachers in our home for a long time.  It was so good to feel of their spirit.  Brother W. turned to me and told me that if I ever needed anything to give him a call and he would be there to help.  That was the first time I felt like I really could call this brother and he really would come and help and he would be please to do it.  He is a good man with a great spirit and love for the Lord.  He truly does this to "become more Christlike" not trying to check off a box. I feel blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.