Skip to main content

Mother's Day/Learning from Heavenly Father

Happy Mother's Day!! 

I had a wonderful surprise arrive at my house Saturday evening and it came with homemade cheesecake.  My sister Annelise came to visit for Mother's Day.  It was delightful. 


As I was getting ready for church I had a pair of pearl earring my mother had given me for Christmas that I wanted to wear.  But the back of the earring was glued to the pearl and I couldn't get it off.  I have tried several times to wear them but it hasn't worked.  As I held the earring in my hand again I decided to read my scriptures.  At the end of scripture study I had an idea and followed through on it and off came the back of my earring.  I was delighted and truly felt that this was a special Mother's Day gift from my Heavenly Father.

Samantha made me breakfast in bed.  She and John Derek gave me cards they had made at school.   Elizabeth spoke in Sacrament Meeting.  Her talk was very sweet.  I kept a copy and will read it when I am having a hard day.  Here is her talk:




Good afternoon brother and sisters. My name is Elizabeth Thornton and I was asked to talk about mothers. I feel very blesses to have the mother I have. Though we fight quite often she’s just doing what is best for me. She does so much for me that I take for granted. Sometimes I think it’s weird that she always insists I tell her what happened at school. She’ll start off “I dropped you off at school & then what happened?”  I guess I don’t realize how much I like that.  It gets a lot of things off my chest & I’m glad she does it.  I hate the chores we always have to do but it’s teaching me how to work so I guess I’m grateful but won’t really know until I’m older.  I complain on how much I work, but she does 1,000 times what I do every day.  She takes time off her busy schedule to drive me to and from basketball, volleyball and swimming practices.  She pays money for those things plus pays for JD’s, Samthana’s and my piano lessons.  It’s not just me she has to drive, it’s my whole family.  She cooks for us, she does the laundry, and she takes care of us which is a real hassle.  But most of all she loves all 6 of us.  I feel like we all take for granted what our mothers do for us; just even the littlest things.  I love my mom and am so grateful to have her.  We all have wonderful mothers who we should complement, love, and help every day.  We shouldn’t just treat our mothers nice on one special day.  Take that day and turn it into every day you love your mother and every little thing that she does: clean, cook, drive, play, it all comes down to loving us.  Mothers are what make the world and we love them.  Thank you for everything you’ve ever done for all of us. 
Bear testimony!
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


My favorite gift was from Derek.  He canceled all his meetings Sunday so he could spend the day with me.  He made breakfast, helped get kids ready for Church.  Drove in the same car with us to Church.  After Church he came home with us.  It was truly delightful to have him around.  He is my best friend and the love of my life.

The Pattern of Our Parentage

 "we are the literal sons and daughters of God.

Other ideals flow from that great truth. Once you know that, you know that all men are brothers. That realization changes you. Thereafter you cannot willingly injure another. You could not transgress against them in any way."






As I read these words I thought of my children.  I thought of the times that I get upset or judge or expect perfection.  I should remember that my children are God's children on loan to me.  I need to respect them just as He respects me. 

"That simple, profound doctrine [we are the literal sons and daughters of God.] is worth knowing for another reason as well. It brings a feeling of self-worth, dignity, self-respect. Then self-pity and depression fade away. We then can yield to the discipline of a loving Father and accept even the very hard lessons of life."


Oh how I desire this.  I do feel that I am constantly learning of my worth.  This journey of depression is helping me see how negative I have been to myself all my life.  I am realizing my worth more and more each day.  I have a hope that I will learn to love myself and as I learn to love myself it will be easier to love others.  I look forward to this.

"Much of what I know that really matters I have learned from being a father."

I am still learning this lesson.  I am learning that I have a loving Heavenly Father who does not criticize me, but encourages me, who does not yell at me, but lifts me up.  I am learning from my Father in Heaven the way to mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.