Skip to main content

Glow Sticks/Breakthrough


In order to help our family be nice we have a marble jar.  If we are good we get marbles if we are bad we loose them.  If at the end of the week we have reached the top of the jar we get to have a family activity.  This one was one of my favorites.  I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of glow sticks and glow games.  We waited for dark turned off the lights and had a blast.  Who can't have fun with glow sticks?



"29  And when Ammon did meet them he was exceedingly sorrowful, for behold they were naked, and their skins were worn exceedingly because of being bound with strong cords. And they also had suffered hunger, thirst, and all kinds of afflictions; nevertheless they were patient in all their sufferings."
There are a lot of things going on in my family. Everyone is having issues and I feel that it stems from me and my depression.

Yesterday I went to therapy and my therapist on a side note said, "Everyone likes to be in control of their body and when we feel out of control we look for something that we can control." Oh that was inspiring to me. It made me realize why I want the house perfect, why I get so frustrated with my kids when they don't perform, why I like to be in control of everything. It is because I am not in control of my body. I can't control the frustration, the emotions, the anger so I look for something else to control to make up for it. Those moments when I do feel in control of my body I can handle what my kids dish out. The house doesn't bother me and I have more patience and energy to clean it. I am patient with my kids and my husband and things run so much smoother. The kids don't feel anxiety or frustration because of my mood and therefore they don't have as many issues. I am able to be consistent and get into routines that allow our family to function happily. It is not perfect but it is so much better then where I am right now. I don't know what to do with this information yet but it is revealing to have discovered.

As Derek and I talked about what to do and how to help our family
I felt so overwhelmed. How were we going to help our family during these difficult mood swings? What is the best plan of action? Derek suggested that we pray about it (what a great man!)

Last night as I prayed for guidance on this subject. I felt that I needed to read my scriptures this morning and I would receive my answer. I feel that this is my answer. To be "patient in all my suffering."

Not the answer I wanted, but the answer I think I knew. I feel that I really need to get the right medication. I feel that this time I am going to have to go through a lot of medications in order to find the right one for me. And this is not something that just takes a few days and then you know. This takes weeks to discover.

But if I don't go through this then I can't empathize with others and I won't be able to help them. I feel that this trial I am going through is so that I can eventually help others having the same trial. This empowers me but also makes me worry about what I will have to endure to get to that point.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.