Skip to main content

John Derek's Answer to Prayer/Pure Heart

About a week ago we got snow.  John Derek was the first one up that morning, he skipped breakfast, got dressed and went outside to play.  And play he did.  The cul-de-sac/street behind our house turns into the neighborhood sledding hill.  They were all having a blast.  Just as I started to get ready to go out and join the family (after getting each one ready to go) John Derek came in.  He had gone down the hill on a saucer and got his foot caught in a drain and then yanked out as he continued to slide.  We iced it for a while but as soon as he heard his friends outside wanting to play he was off.  A few minutes later he came in complaining again. So we took him off his feet and into the doctor for an x-ray.

No broken bones but a possible injured ligament.  He was put in a splint and on crutches for a week. With the possibility of a boot for a month and maybe even surgery.


Needless to say he was not excited.  But he was so blessed.  He only had to go to one day of school because of the snow.  He loved going to the store with me because he got to drive one of those battery powered carts.  One day we were on our way to the store.  He was very concerned about going, worried that they wouldn't have a cart for him.  I suddenly had an impression and said, "John Derek, why don't you pray that when we go back to the doctor that you will be healed and won't have to wear a boot."  He replied, "I have mom, I am even praying that the store will have a cart for me."  I told him I would start praying too.  Sure enough the store had a cart and when we went in yesterday he was able to walk out with instructions to just be careful and no sports or sledding.

I am grateful for his faith and trust in the Lord.

Chapter 5: Principles of True Repentance

"Would not the progress of the Church increase dramatically today with an increasing number of those who are spiritually reborn? Can you imagine what would happen in our homes? Can you imagine what would happen with an increasing number of copies of the Book of Mormon in the hands of an increasing number of missionaries who know how to use it and who have been born of God? When this happens, we will get the bounteous harvest of souls that the Lord promised. It was the “born of God” Alma who as a missionary was so able to impart the word that many others were also born of God. (See Alma 36:23–26.)"
Sometimes I wonder what program we need to be doing more of in order to help in missionary work. What skill I need to be a better mother. But if we were all truly born of God we would be victorious in all of our endeavors. This is what we are trying to succeed at, this is where I need to work, to have my will become His.

I truly feel that the more I turn my life over to God the more in control I feel. I am given peace and comfort, ideas for my problems, inspiration, everything I need to make my life work and to make everything work out. How grateful I am to such a loving Father in Heaven.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.