Skip to main content

Depression/Media

Depression is still rearing his ugly head.  It has been almost a week.  I feel overwhelmed and frustrated.  I have such a sweet husband who is so patient and understanding and who would love to cure me of this trial.  Today I resolved to focus on two things, exercise and scripture reading.  I am hoping this will help me overcome the black dog of depression.

I took a lovely walk today and wished I had brought my good camera.  The Lord really made everything so beautiful and the sun was just right to make all the frost glitter and shimmer in its light.  Here are a few pictures I took with my camera.





"14  Now it was those men who sought to destroy them, who were lawyers, who were hired or appointed by the people to administer the law at their times of trials, or at the trials of the crimes of the people before the judges.

15  Now these lawyers were learned in all the arts and cunning of the people; and this was to enable them that they might be skilful in their profession."
The other day my children were watching a cartoon when I walked into the room and heard the main character of the show say, "We will all eventually get eaten or die so I figure we are alive right now so let's party!" I couldn't believe my ears. He was saying the scripture I have hear so often in my life, "Yea, and there shall be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us." (2 Nephi 28:7) But he was saying it to my kids!! And as much as people want to say, "it went right over their heads," I won't believe it.

Growing up I had a wonderful mother and father who taught me well. But somehow I grew up with the worldly opinion that women are being suppressed by men. And that children should be "free to lead their own lives." I remember watching "The Little Mermaid," and loving that song, "Part of That World." Thinking that she was so right, she was being oppressed by her father and that she should "follow her heart."

As an adult I can now see that she was the one who was wrong and her father was right. He was trying to protect her and keep her safe from harm. He was doing the best job he knew how.
There are so many examples of other "children's shows" that glorify women who don't need a man; but as I have grown and learned of the love my Heavenly Father has for me I know that He loves us all equally. That He has a plan which will save all of us and it is the world that is putting these competing thoughts in our heads.

It is just so sad for me to see children being Satan's new target. I feel that the film makers are "learned in all the arts and cunning of the people; and this was to enable them that they might be skilful in their profession."

The major entertainers of today are "skilfully" sending messages to our children. Messages about family being any group of people that come together. Sometimes even at the cost of your real family. That women don't need men and should declare their independence. Children should not seek council from their parents but peers and their "heart." That we are entitled to everything and should not work for it.

Now I am not going to outlaw cartoons and I still love the "Little Mermaid;" but I am going to be more aware. I am going to follow the promptings of the Spirit to know what I should and should not let my children watch.
I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for helping me to see what Satan is doing to this world and how He is starting young to trap these precious children. He cannot tempt them before they are 8 but He is trying to influence them and we as parents have to be the barrier.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.