Skip to main content

Elizabeth's Letter/Thoughts on the Atonement

Elizabeth's 4th Grade teacher moved away to be closer to family.  My cleaning lady and here are best friends so I regularly get updates.  Recently Elizabeth's teacher, Mrs. *******, was diagnosed with thyroid cancer.  Since we couldn't make dinner for her we sent her some money to buy take out during her treatments.  She sent us a thank you card and asked Elizabeth to email her what has been going on in her life.  Within minutes Elizabeth was at the computer typing an email to her.  I enjoyed reading it and finding out what was important for my daughter to tell her great teacher.  Elizabeth is a wonderful young woman and I am so proud of her.


Hey Mrs.******* its your very tall student who loves you very much! I got really worried and sad when i heard you got cancer. I'm really sorry hope you liked the $40. You asked about my updates well i'm at Durant Middle in 8th grade i'm a straight A student. i was on the volleyball team for 3 years (a manager in 6th grade). I really enjoyed it and played middle. 8th grade wasn't the best since my original coach went and coached somewhere else and the coaches this year didn't really know what they were doing. I'm in Basketball right now i also did it last year. This year i'm a Starter and have been one of the top 3 scores for 3 straight games! So far we've lost 6 games and have won 5. I've been really loving theater which was one of the main reasons i went to Durant (also heritage didn't have anymore spots)( also Christina is also at Durant were not really friends anymore more like acquaintances). My basketball coach who originally taught language arts on track 3, 7th grade is now the theater teacher but i wasn't in his class this year, i was really upset but there was 42 students in that class and the 4 top drama people all got stuck in Computer 2, none of us were happy. But 6th and 7th grade theater with one of my favorite teachers was so much fun!!!! I did do chorus in 7th grade and had a blast now there's a new chorus teacher and i have been with him for 4 days hes pretty cool. The family's crazy as normal. Samantha's in 5th grade (11), John Derek is in 3rd grade (9), Maddison is in 1st grade (6), Michael stays at home and is 3 years old but he is huge! I'm now 5'11" a lot taller than the last time you saw me. I saw Hogan when we faced Heritage i think he might finally be taller than me, i'm still keeping in touch with Cameron and that's really it on connections with elementary school people. I've been going to Utah a lot more and i miss it dearly. Middle schools a lot harder than 4th grade. I'm really into writing now a days. I'm writing a fiction one right now that's very complex, I've also tried to write my journal from 6th grade called "my so called 6th grade life". I also still LOVE reading. right now i'm reading Fablehaven its amazing i just started the 4th book today. if your ever looking for books to read ask me i know sooooooooo many good books to read. Also have you heard of the musical Hamiltion? It's amazing i love listening to it! (I'm actually listening to it right now!). In church we have 12-13 year old girl class and im president its a lot of work. I really miss seeing your face whenever i get the slim chance of going back to North Forest Pines. I would love for you to tell me whats been going on in your life since the last time i saw you! Feel free to ask me questions and email me whenever if you want to text me my number is: ***-***-****. Love you so much!!!!!! Miss you lots!!!!!!
-Elizabeth Thornton (13)

Chapter 6: The Significance of the Sacrament

  •  January 2016
  • Sacrament,Covenants,Faith,Atonement
1. We eat in remembrance of the body of Jesus Christ, promising that we will always remember His wounded body slain upon the cross.
I find it interesting that the body represents the crucifixion and the water the atonement. That these two events were part of the atonement not just one. I think I need to remember more His sacrifice. I remember Him but not always His sacrifice.
2. We drink in remembrance of the blood which was shed for the sins of the world, which atoned for the transgression of Adam, and which frees us from our own sins on condition of our true repentance.
I find that I feel more gratitude and respect for the events in Gethsemane. Being on the cross I can imagine, I can imagine how it would feel, it is very physical. But Gethsemane I don’t understand. I don’t know how to comprehend. I respect and honor and reverence it but would like to have a greater spiritual knowledge of this event.
3. We covenant that we will be willing to take upon us the name of the Son and always remember Him. In keeping this covenant we promise that we will be called by His name and never do anything that would bring shame or reproach upon that name.
I think the constant reminder week after week that I am a Child of God and that Christ has engraven me in the palms of His hands helps me remember through the week that I have a Father in Heaven and a brother who love me. I am reminded of my faith in them and my desire to follow them. I renew my resolve to read scriptures daily, personally and with the family, my prayers strengthen and I ask for forgiveness. I am reminded to always remember Him.
4. We covenant that we will keep His commandments which He has given us not one commandment, but that we will be willing to “live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God.” D&C 84:44.
I do desire this, I know that in this life I will not be perfect at it but I still desire. I have faith that through the atonement I will be forgiven of the times that I fail and I will be strengthened in the times I succeed. I do desire to keep all the commandments, even the ones I struggle with in weakness and in choices.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.