Skip to main content

Girls Weekend/Prayer

 Annelise and I went off for a girls weekend.  Our first stop was Duke Gardens.  We both took pictures and limped around.  I have a broken foot and she has a foot constantly in pain.  It was a slow process and we only walked a little bit but it was fun.



This is the chapter when Christ comes to the Americas.  In our Book of Mormon it is chapter 11 but in this book it is chapter 5.  The chapters may be different but the words are the same.

 We then went to the Duke Library that houses rare books.  We were able to view an original copy of the Book of Mormon.  There were times that I was almost in tears as we looked at this book.  The feelings I had really surprised me.  I felt a great reverence, a closeness to Joseph Smith.  At the beginning of the book he explains why he did not publish the 116 pages.  Annelise said it reads like a story and I can see that when you don't have the verses.  To think that people read this book and came into a tiny church but believed these words so much that they gave up everything to follow, just amazes me.

Working at Prayer

"Before you begin your prayer, take a few moments to think about what you want to say. Consider questions you might have or things that have been bothering you—you can even write them down so you don’t forget. Use this time too to clear your mind from the ruckus of the day so you can focus on the gentle impressions of the Holy Ghost. If your mind tends to wander while you pray, try to visualize Heavenly Father listening. Speak in specifics. Also, leave a few minutes at the end of the prayer to listen to the promptings of the Spirit. You might write down your impressions in your journal.

Remember that prayer has been called “a form of work” ( Bible Dictionary, “Prayer” ), so don’t worry if it takes practice or seems hard! Your effort in praying can help you forge a relationship with God that will bless generations."

Maybe I should try this. I also need to remember that to get to the level of prayer I want to get to it will take work. I can't just keep doing what I am doing if I want to change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.