Skip to main content

Crabs/Adversity


We went to the beach for Spring Break.  One of my favorite things to do there is go crabbing.  I did a bunch of research and found a great spot that even has a playground next to it and we go crabbing.  When I was a child we would catch crayfish off the dock of Starvation Reservoir.  We kids LOVED it.  We would put a chicken leg attached to a string on the floor of the lake.  Then we would attach the string to the dock.  The water was shallow enough that we could see the leg through the water.  Then we would wait . . . in a few minutes crayfish would emerge from hiding and start eating the leg.  If we were quiet and careful we could slowly pull the leg up until we could reach a net underneath and scope the crabs up.


We apply this same technique to catch blue crabs.  The biggest difference is that we are on a pier about 10-15 feet above the water.  We put the chicken leg in and here come the crabs.  Instead of a net with a handle we have a crab basket and have to get the basket under the leg.  It takes cooperation and patience.  But when you get those crabs you have a sense of accomplishment and delight. 

Daddy was our man of the hour.  Helping everyone, catching the crabs with the net, just being the Superman that he is.

We never keep the crabs as I don't eat sea food.  But we have a blast.  Michael was fascinated with the crabs.  But he could not understand why we wouldn't let him hold them or touch them.  At one point I took him to the bottom of the stairs so that he could see Elizabeth let the crab go.  She put it in the water and we watched it swim away.  Later that night as I was helping with his prayers I said, "thank you for the crab . . ." and he said, "crab swim!!!"  It was delightful to see him remember.

Trust in the Lord

"Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more (see Prov. 3:11–12 ). He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."
My Nephew Tyler is on a mission.  I have loved getting his weekly emails and seeing his growth and feeling the spirit that he is daily discovering.  He shared this quote with a family he is teaching and it really hit me to the core.  As I read it I wanted to know more about this.  I then found the article he got it from and found nuggets of inspiration.  The very next paragraph said:
"When you face adversity, you can be led to ask many questions. Some serve a useful purpose; others do not. To ask, Why does this have to happen to me? Why do I have to suffer this, now? What have I done to cause this? will lead you into blind alleys. It really does no good to ask questions that reflect opposition to the will of God. Rather ask, What am I to do? What am I to learn from this experience? What am I to change? Whom am I to help? How can I remember my many blessings in times of trial? Willing sacrifice of deeply held personal desires in favor of the will of God is very hard to do. Yet, when you pray with real conviction, “Please let me know Thy will” and “May Thy will be done,” you are in the strongest position to receive the maximum help from your loving Father."
Wow!! Just what I needed.  Too many times I ask why.  I have heard over and over again about how we need to learn from our trials, that they help us to grow but I didn't know how to do that.  These questions are the perfect answer.  They make sense to me.  They give me somewhere to start from.  I am putting these questions on my mirror and in the kitchen to remind me of what and how to pray in times of trial.  The article continues:
"Your Father in Heaven and His Beloved Son love you perfectly. They would not require you to experience a moment more of difficulty than is absolutely needed for your personal benefit or for that of those you love."
This was so sweet and tender.  It reminds me of when I had to take Michael to the doctor to receive a shot, three days in a row, so that he could get rid of his ear infections.  Oh, how I hated to make him cry.  The third day he had figured this out and even requested tenderly, "No, bobo."  Oh how I wanted to honor that request but I knew he had to have the shot.  How grateful I was that he did not have to have another.  I could have opted for tubes but it would not benefit him and so the pain stopped.  This is how I want to see my Father in Heaven when I have a trial.  Only making me go so far as I need to in order to grow.  I am continually grateful for His love.  I am continually grateful for the insight that He gives me.  He lets me learn line upon line and helps me see what to do and what He is doing.  I have complete faith and trust in Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.