Skip to main content

Snow?Summer?/Depression and Therapy

We have had great snow days down here in North Carolina.  Michael loves snowmen and was so delighted when they built a giant snowman across the street.  He has had to go over everyday and touch it and then sing the snowman song. 

Taken 2 days ago

Yesterday we went over and touched the snowman with John Derek.  It was 70 degrees outside and beautiful.  The snowman is just a stump now but still there.  A little while later after lots of laughter and joyous squeels John Derek and Michael came to the back door looking like this:

Taken 1 day ago

Only in North Carolina can you play with a snowman and voluntarily get drenched by the water hose on the same day!!

My sister Christina has started a blog.  I love the story she shares.  I will call it "The Analogy of the Stairs."  I would encourage you to read it to know that you too are not alone. 

Yesterday I felt such confidence in my depression but by evening the black dog had taken over and I was overcome with his weight.  Derek and I decided that I will start seeing a therapist.  This was a difficult decision but I know it is the right one.  I realized that what was keeping me from seeing a therapist was pride.  I also realized that my pride is not worth the cost of my family, my husband, myself, and all those I love and will love. 

I have also felt that I am going through this trial to be able to help others and that I cannot help others down a difficult road unless I go all the way myself. 

My mentor has been extremely helpful and is cheering me on all the way.  She said, "It is only the bravest who are willing to go to therapy, to open their minds, hearts, eyes, and make sure they are living their best life . . . What is THRILLING about therapy, what you will see, is that every time we women improve, get clarity, so do our families, marriages, children, friendships.  It is a huge ripple effect."

I also take comfort is the words from Elder Holland:

Like a Broken Vessel

"If things continue to be debilitating, seek the advice of reputable people with certified training, professional skills, and good values. Be honest with them about your history and your struggles. Prayerfully and responsibly consider the counsel they give and the solutions they prescribe. If you had appendicitis, God would expect you to seek a priesthood blessing and get the best medical care available. So too with emotional disorders. Our Father in Heaven expects us to use all of the marvelous gifts He has provided in this glorious dispensation."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.