Skip to main content

Maddie and Mermaids/Patience


The kids have started school (at some point I will talk about the first day :-) But she really wanted to have school lunch.  She was just so excited to be in kindergarten that she wanted to do everything she had seen her siblings do.  Finally I told her that if she would clean her room she could have school lunch.  Later when I went to check on her she had cleaned everything.  I had never seen her do such a good job before.  She was delighted to have school lunch and can't wait to do it again.


 Our family did a good job getting marbles in our marble jar so they earned the Family Bingo Night at the YMCA with a special guest.  What a delight and surprise to discover that the special guest was a mermaid.  Maddie danced up and down "Mermids are real, mermaids are real, mermaids are real!"  Samantha and her had a delight getting a gold coin and following the mermaid as she swam around the pool.


Patience

By Elder Neal A. Maxwell

"Patience is not indifference. Actually, it is caring very much, but being willing, nevertheless, to submit both to the Lord and to what the scriptures call the “process of time.”

Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we know what is best—better than does God. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than his. Either way we are questioning the reality of God’s omniscience,"

As I continue to study patience I am amazed at how impatient I am about some things. Recently my neighbor's mother very graciously gave us her old mixer. It was amazing and such a blessing. Just that morning my hand held mixer had died (It was only 20 years old.) And my other mixer couldn't do much for a family of 7. What a delight I immediately attributed it to a miracle from the Lord. Well then I realized it needed a tune up but that sent me all over the internet looking for my ultimate desire a Bosch Mixer. I found some on Craigslist that were a good price, but they still cost money, money I wasn't planning on spending. For 3 days I was on pins and needles trying to decide if I should get one of these machines. Then in my scripture study I read again about patience. How I needed to allow the Lord time to work. I talked to Derek and he suggested we give the free mixer a chance. He helped me tune it up (thank goodness for YouTube.) And I again learned to be patient. Sometimes I say I am having patience when in reality I only waited 3 min. But I do have trust in my Heavenly Father and I will continue to wait and trust His plan.
"There is also a dimension of patience which links it to a special reverence for life. Patience is a willingness, in a sense, to watch the unfolding purposes of God with a sense of wonder and awe—rather than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance."
Elder Maxwell always has an amazing gift of eloquence and imagery. What a beautiful picture to ponder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.