Skip to main content

Anxiety

Today I was reminded of an experience I had last year that I need to write down. 


I have a sweet and loving daughter who has fallen on some hard times emotionally.  Things were getting so difficult that Derek and I decided to seek help from a counselor.  We knew that if we did not get help now that when she hit her teen years we would have no way of helping her.  We wanted her to learn how to deal with these difficulties now so that when she was older she would know how to handle them. 

She started to see a counselor and eventually was tested by a psychologist.  After the testing was done but before we knew the results I had an experience that made me realize how much the Lord is aware of us and loves us.

We had to get our flu shots.  I had made an appointment with the doctor for all of my children.  As I waited in carpool line I felt very strongly that I should not tell the children where we were going and what we were going to do until we were almost there.  I picked them up and they all inquired why they didn't ride the bus home.  I explained that I would tell them later.  All of the children settled down and waited but this daughter could not settle down and wait.  She asked over and over again where we were going, what we were going to do.  I kept explaining to her that she had to wait but this only aggravated her more. 

When we arrived at the doctor's office I explained why we were there;
this daughter immediately started to worry and cry.  She asked if she could go last but I knew that she had to go first so that she did not have to wait and worry.  She got her shot after much coaxing and crying and bribing.  The other children quickly got their shots and off we were to get ice cream. 

This daughter really did not deserve the ice cream because of her behavior.  As I sat in the line for the drive through I prayed for guidance to know what to do.  I was told, "She has anxiety, you can handle this, you are given the power, the patience, the knowledge, and the love to handle this."  I felt an immediate sense of empowerment and ability.  I realized that she was sick, that her actions in the doctor's office were beyond her control and I needed to treat her with kindness not cruelty.  She received an ice cream and I explained to the children about her sickness.  

When I arrived at the psychologist's office to receive her diagnosis, I already knew what she needed and what she had.  It didn't matter what the psychologist told me, God had given me the knowledge and the tools to help this sweet child through her struggles and hard ship.

Such a loving and kind Heavenly Father who really cares for us and knows our needs and helps us with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.