Skip to main content

Cat Walk/Temptation/I Will Go and Do

We went to the YMCA so the kids and I could get out of the house and away from electronics.  As we entered the Y there was a red carpet down the hall.  As I was signing us in at the front desk Maddie started to walk down the carpet swinging her hips, batting her eyelashes, and removing her coat as if she were a model on the cat walk.  The staff started laughing as did I.  Then her siblings all decided to join her.  We all just laughed and enjoyed the moment.  As we were walking out after my work out I asked Maddie if she wanted to do it again.  No question there she ran to the end of the carpet and proceeded down as professional as ever.  I even noticed her making her "cute eyes" as she came near the end.  Whoa Nellie, I am in trouble in the future.

While at the Y Elizabeth and I were both on elliptical machines.  They have several TV's up that everyone can see but have no sound unless you tune into their radio station.  But they also have subtitles.  Everything that was up was the news except one TV had a drama on it which I do not like and has a lot of subjects I don't need addressed in my life.  Well it was so easy to turn my attention to that show but I was trying really hard not to watch it.  Then I noticed my daughter Elizabeth doing the same thing.  I turned to her and asked her not to watch that show, that it was innappropriate.  As we continued to work out I saw her doing the same thing I did, trying to ignore it then catching herself and looking away.  I was proud of her for working so hard to resist temptation.  She is a good girl who will have a lot to put up with in her life.  I feel that she will have to stand up alone to a lot of things.  But I know she will do well.  I have faith in her.  She is a wonderful girl, full of the Spirit and striving so hard to do what Heavenly Father wants her to do.  Whoa Nellie, watch out future here she comes!!



I read the story of Nephi going to get the brass plates.  I have read/heard this story so many times I can't count but I always learn something from it.  As I was reading this story I was wondering how the Lord expected me to raise these children and how I was going to do it.

"7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."
Including raising 5 children.  The Lord gave me this commandment and will prepare a way for me that I can be the mother He needs and wants me to be.  He would not have asked me to be a mother if He knew it would cause me to fail.

"15 But behold I said unto them that: As the Lord liveth, and as we live, we will not go down unto our father in the wilderness until we have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us."
I can't give up.  Even when it is really hard.

"21 And it came to pass that after this manner of language did I persuade my brethren, that they might be faithful in keeping the commandments of God."
Sometimes I do have to lecture my kids and that's okay.

"28 And it came to pass that Laman was angry with me, and also with my father; and also was Lemuel, for he hearkened unto the words of Laman. Wherefore Laman and Lemuel did speak many hard words unto us, their younger brothers, and they did smite us even with a rod."
Sometimes what my kids will do will hurt. But I have to keep trying and pray for help.  I know the Lord will help me.

"And after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying:"
My kids will continue to complain. I just need to do what is best for me and them and not be intimidated by their complaining.

"1 And it came to pass that I spake unto my brethren, saying: Let us go up again unto Jerusalem, and let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord; for behold he is mightier than all the earth, then why not mightier than Laban and his fifty, yea, or even than his tens of thousands?"

Talk to my kids again and again until they understand.

"Now when I had spoken these words, they were yet wroth, and did still continue to murmur; nevertheless they did follow me up until we came without the walls of Jerusalem."
They will keep complaining.

"And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."
In motherhood I will continually be moving forward not knowing what I am supposed to be doing. I know with the Lord's help I will be able to do it.

"10 And it came to pass that I was constrained by the Spirit that I should kill Laban; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I shed the blood of man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him."
I will not always want to do what the Lord wants me to do. But I must rise up and face the challenge or the child. I will pray for the strength to accomplish this.

"11 And the Spirit said unto me again: Behold the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands."
The Lord gave me these children with the knowledge that I could bring them back to Him. I need to have faith in His trust in me.
"12 And it came to pass that the Spirit said unto me again: Slay him, for the Lord hath delivered him into thy hands;"
Do what the spirit says.


"and also having received much strength of the Lord,"
The Lord will give me strength.

"37 And it came to pass that when Zoram had made an oath unto us, our fears did cease concerning him."
Trust my kids promises.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.