Skip to main content

TV Fast-The Presentation

For a Family Home Evening we decided that we would present the idea of fasting from electronics.  We opened a discussion by reading from an article titled A Question of Time, by Elder F. Burton Howard.  In the article he asks a series of questions about television watching.  Some of the questions I liked were: Does the television have its own room? Do you like it better than your brother?  Does it come with you to dinner? etc.  We asked the questions to the kids and listened to what they collectively said.  When I asked the questions: Do your parents spend more time with it than they do with you? Do they spend more money on it than they do on you? I was amazed to hear them answer "Yes!"  I realized that it is not just the kids who are too preoccupied with electronics that Derek and I need to cut them out too.



One of the questions Elder Burton asked was: Could you live without TV for a week? How about a month? All the kids answered yes to this as well.  That gave me hope, that maybe they would embrace this idea.  That hope was quickly squelched however.

We talked about how we each want more time, how mom and dad want more family time, and how easy it is for us to get distracted by electronics.  We then explained that we would begin that evening and would continue until the last day of school.  We immediately got lots of complaints.  When I was ready to just say "this is what we are doing, deal with it!" Derek began to talk about the prophet Lehi.  How he had received revelation for his family to go into the wilderness and leave everything.  That not everyone wanted to do it.  That as parents we had prayed about this and truly felt the Lord was leading us down this path.  That the kids could choose to be Laman and Lemuel's about it or Nephi and Sam's.  I felt this was truly inspired.

Not all the negative feelings went away but we were able to close FHE knowing that we had done what Heavenly Father had asked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

My Daughter/Compliments From Up Above

Sunday I took a walk with the kids up to the park.  Elizabeth started to complain about how hard things are because we have such a big family and how if we wouldn't have had as many children as we do things would be so much easier for her.  I remember feeling the same way when I was her age. I said a silent prayer for the right words to say.  We talked about how the person who makes her the most happy is Michael.  She loves to be with him.  The first person she wants to see in the morning is him, when she gets home from school he is the first to get a hug.  She is really good at taking care of him and helping him with his needs.  She is such a nurturer and will make a fantastic mom.  If anyone needs a good babysitter I highly recommend her. As we talked her heart was touched.  I love it when as a mother you can reach into your child's soul and help sooth a trouble.  I was grateful for that experience. The Infinite Atonement (Illustrated Edition) by Tad R. Callistar