Skip to main content

TV Fast-The Decision

In December 2016 I felt a growing desire to increase the love in our family; to make the "family central" to our plan as it is to the Lord's. (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)

I knew that the only way to change how I felt about my family would be to study the words of God.  On several occasions I had studied about the family and had tried to implement things but couldn't ever feel like my heart was being changed.  I decided that this time would be different that this time I would study the Book of Mormon and read the entire thing looking for examples and scriptures and anything that could be applied to the family.



I found a blue Book of Mormon on our shelf that my Grandparents had given me years ago, opened it up and wrote the following words:

Today I begin a serious study of the family.  We are told that "the family is central to the creator's plan for His children."  I do not feel that I am making my family central to my life.  My goals are:
  • To find joy in my children.
  • To make our home a place my children want to be.
  • Have our home be a place our kids want to bring their friends and their friends will want to stay and will feel loved and welcome.
  • Our children will love each other and become best friends.  They will miss each other when one is gone and rejoice in their return.
  • My children and I and Derek will choose family time together above other fun activities.
  • Our home will be filled with laughter and love.
  • The electronics will be used rarely and desire to be and interact with family will take their place.
  • The gospel will be at the center of the family.
  • The Spirit will want to reside in our home and we can feel it when we walk in the door.
I pray that as I study my heart will be changed.  that the Spirit will guide me to know how to change myself and bring peace to our home.

Over the past few months I have been amazed at how much the scriptures apply to my family.  There have been examples of family life especially with Lehi and his children.  There have been applications where I lease expected like with King Noah (not sending enough guards.)  During this time I was also introduced to a new initiative by the Church to increase our Self Reliance.  I felt a need to teach this to our children.  That if we want them to become successful people they needed to learn Self Reliance.

In April I wrote the following thoughts out:

I have been feeling a need to make some changes in our family.  I think it began with reading the Book of Mormon with a focus on studying the family.  I also went to a meeting introducing a Self-Reliance program into the Church and have felt the need for my children to be more self-reliant.

Right now I feel that my family spends too much time with electronics.  I feel separated from my kids and they are each revolving in their own space and any interaction usually results in conflict.  I want this to change.

My Preliminary Goals

  • Find joy in my children.
  • Make my family central in my life.
  • Home is a place we all want to be.
  • All who enter our home will feel loved and welcome and want to return.
  • Our children will be our and each other's best friends.
  • Family time will be more desired than other activities.
  • Laughter and Love will fill our home.
  • Electronics will not have center stage and will be used wisely and not control us.
  • The gospel will be at the center of all we do.
  • The Spirit will reside in our home.

Elizabeth has 3 more years before she leaves our home.  Anything we still want and need her to learn must be taught now.
Samantha needs to feel love.  With the distractions of electronics I don't spend enough time with her.
John Derek needs to read more, but again electronics zap him of time to read.
Maddie needs to learn social skills but would rather play alone or be on a device instead of interact with fiends.
Michael has boundless energy but does not release it because of "real videos."
Lexia needs to spend more time listening and talking to kids but gets sucked into the television shows, novels, and driving kids to activities.
Derek needs a break from Church and work a time to just be him and enjoy his family.
We all need and want more time together.

Things I want for our Family:
Learn Articles of Faith
Family History
Learn how the Spirit speaks to us
Teach with love not fear
Have Family Dinners--as we change to put family first the other stuff will work itself out ie. school, work, church, etc.
Give my children self worth
Get in Shape-by putting the Savior first our physical problems will work out.
Serve
Personal Progress/Arrow of Light/Faith in God

With these thoughts and lots of pondering and prayer (and a little John Bytheway Tour de Family that I had been listening to in the car) I presented Derek the idea that our family fast from electronics for one month.  I am amazed at how the Lord works.  Derek was open to the idea but the next night he came home from a meeting where they had talked about the Great and Spacious Building (1 Nephi 8:26) and how in Ephesians Satan is referred to as the "prince of the power of the air" (Eph 2:2).  How there is so much evil that is now being transferred in the air and we must defend ourselves against it.

To encourage us we also noticed the fighting that was going on inside our home that centered around electronics.  The kids would fight about what show to watch, they would fight if someone was being too loud, the would fuss and complain when we turned the devices off or had them taken away.  Elizabeth had also become very difficult every night when we asked her to put her phone in our room which has always been a rule in our home.

After these encouragements and lots of prayer and fasting we decided to turn off the electronics for one month.



Over the next few days I would like to share our experience of Fasting from Electronics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

My Daughter/Compliments From Up Above

Sunday I took a walk with the kids up to the park.  Elizabeth started to complain about how hard things are because we have such a big family and how if we wouldn't have had as many children as we do things would be so much easier for her.  I remember feeling the same way when I was her age. I said a silent prayer for the right words to say.  We talked about how the person who makes her the most happy is Michael.  She loves to be with him.  The first person she wants to see in the morning is him, when she gets home from school he is the first to get a hug.  She is really good at taking care of him and helping him with his needs.  She is such a nurturer and will make a fantastic mom.  If anyone needs a good babysitter I highly recommend her. As we talked her heart was touched.  I love it when as a mother you can reach into your child's soul and help sooth a trouble.  I was grateful for that experience. The Infinite Atonement (Illustrated Edition) by Tad R. Callistar