Skip to main content

Samantha's First Temple Trip/What Defines Us?



On October 29th we took Samantha to the temple for the first time.  It was so good for all of us.  Elizabeth did a great job directing Samantha and making sure she knew where to go.  Samantha was nervous, we had talked about it a lot so she would know what to expect.  Once we got there and got dressed Derek was asked to be their first one in the font.  Samantha pushed Elizabeth forward not wanting to be the first to be baptized.  But then when Elizabeth got out and it was Samantha's turn she jumped out of her seat and rushed to the font.  She was so excited!


The girls did about 6 family names each and Derek did 12.  Samantha had helped me with several of the names and was excited to choose which girls she would get to do.   It was such a blessing to have family names to do.
 

 Sunday Samantha got up and bore her testimony about faith.  She told about the YW having a night to do Personal Progress and Samantha was able to do 2 goals.  She was so excited.  She really is enjoying being a Beehive and really wants to do well.






The Master Healer
"When we come to Him with humble and teachable hearts—even if our hearts are heavy with mistakes, sins, and transgressions—He can change us, “for he is mighty to save.” 10 And with hearts changed, we can, like the Samaritan woman, go into our own cities—our homes, schools, and workplaces—to witness of Him."
  • As I read this I thought about my feelings towards Samantha. I need a more humble and teachable heart and I need Him to change me. The anxiety is not her fault. I should not get frustrated with her and I need to find a way to be her mother while dealing with the anxiety and see that those moments are not what defines her.
Derek shared something he learned listening to Michael Wilcox. Bro. Wilcox talks about the Apostle Thomas who is known as doubting Thomas. That in John 11:16 Jesus is wanting to return to Judea to visit Lazarus who has died. The apostles do not want to return because they fear for the Savior's life, but Thomas speaks up and says, "Let us also go that we may die with him."
Bro. Wilcox talks about how each of us have good and bad moments. The world has rememberd Thomas's weak moment, but forgotten his willingness to die for the Savior. How are we remembering our loved ones. Are we only looking on their times of weakness or are we looking at their strengths?
This week I am trying to look at my children's strengths, the good in them, things I should be proud of. I don't want their mistakes be what defines them in my mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.