Skip to main content

Trials and Angels

Derek is having a hard time.  Yesterday was particularly difficult.  I was amazed how the Lord worked in both of our lives to help lighten his burden.  For me He helped my mood ant the mood of the home.  I have more patience right now, more strength, stamina, and joy.  Each of the children have had several breakdowns in the last few days but I have not flown off the handle and have been able to be calm and helpful in getting them through.  I can only attribute that to my Heavenly Father.  I am amazed that many times when the kids or Derek are off I am strengthened and not also off.


The blessings I received today started with he kids being happy, they played quietly and let me rest.  When I prayed for guidance on what I should do while I sat with my foot hurting I was given the incite to do some work that needed to get done on the computer.  Then with my foot well rested I could go start dinner.  During dinner we had good conversations.  The kids even tried to memorize our "Ponderizing" scripture for the week.  I stood in awe at how interested they were and how willing they were to talk about it.  (Mosiah 2:17)  After dinner I was given incite to know how to get the kids to clean up without complaint and quickly (rice crispy treats are amazing!)  Then Elizabeth came to me and said that her eyes were blurry.  After only 30 sec. of protest she agreed to go get in bed it was 7:00.  (She is usually up past midnight every night no matter what we do.)  The rest of the children played together nicely until bedtime. Then by 9:00 they were all in bed trying to go to sleep and things were quiet.  There truly were angles in my home last night.


This is the point that Derek came home.  Sometimes I feel so helpless as he can't share some of the burdens and the others involve work or responsibilities that I can't help with.  But because ALL the kids were in bed we were able to have some quiet time and able to talk.  He told me how he is just overwhelmed.  That he was listening to the Mormon Channel and the speaker talked about how Satan tries to get us overwhelmed with all the things we have to do.  And tells us that we can't do it all in the hopes that we will quit.  The Lord on the other hand tells us what to do and then tells us that He knows we can do it and cheers us on.  I am grateful that the Lord is on our side.  That no matter how hard this trial is we can have the strength to work together and with the Lord and be better for it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.