Skip to main content

Feeling Great!

Today I was enjoying talking to my mom on the phone as I drove to the temple.  She asked me, "How are you doing?"  Without thinking I replied, "Great!"  That answer caught me off guard.  Over the past several months if someone asked me how I was doing I would reply a half hearted, "fine."  But today I replied "Great," which had been my common answer for years of my life.  I had noticed that it was gone for a while, I just couldn't lie to people, I was not great.



As I pondered this statement today I thought of several things that have made me "Great!"

  • My Heavenly Father loves me.  He is happy with who I am.  Yes He is guiding me in my change to be a better person but He loves me.  The other day I was reminded of some special experiances I had had that let me know He is aware of me and loves me.  I was reminded that "I am enough."  When I am about to give myself a hard time for not doing or being _____ I remind myself that "I am enough."  Then I can move on with the right frame of mind.
  • Derek loves me!!  He is so supportive and kind.  The knowledge that he loves me for who I am is empowering.  He doesn't get mad at me for anything, even if I am mad at myself.  He continually reminds me that he loves me.  He is grateful for me and thinks that I am better than him, when I know he is better than me.  He is strong in the gospel and is my best friend.  I love being with him and know I can always count on his love.
  • I am reading my scriptures and writing in my blog daily.  Usually it is sporadic but I have been getting up early everyday to spend quiet time with my Father in Heaven before my family gets up.  When I am tempted to stay in bed I remind myself that if I put Him first He will make the rest of my day work out.  Just this knowledge gives me the willpower to get out of bed and onto my knees.
  • My medication is working.  I have spent the past month not getting depressed or angry.  Feeling good about myself.  I went a whole month feeling that way.  I haven't done that for years.
  • I am seeing a therapist.  I don't think anything earth shattering has happened because of her but it is nice to get another's opinion, ideas, encouragement.  She has given me good ideas, encouraged good practicies and behaviors, and is happy with how I am doing.
  • I am enjoying Flylady.  She reminds me that I am not broken and that I don't need to put myself down or try to do everything all at once.  I am seeing progress.  Almost every morning when I come down to a clean kitchen I take a deep breath and smile.  My day has already started great!!
  • My therapist and Flylady (as well as friends and family) have encouraged me to take time for myself.  So I started listening to my favorite music (Country) and reading novels.  I am amazed how much more lighthearted I am.  How I want to accomplish things so that I can have some free time to read.  And I do enjoy it.
I truly feel that the Lord has brought all these things together in the last month because now I am ready for it.  I feel like I have made a huge step in the right direction.  It is freeing and liberating.  I am so glad that He is guiding me and helping me become the woman he wants me to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.