Skip to main content

Grandma

Today is my grandmother's funeral.  I cannot be there today because of distance, but my thoughts are with my family.  I have been pondering my relationship with her over the past few years.  I remember when we got to spend the night at her home, we were given Kellogg's Corn Flakes sprinkled with sugar and white toast with melted butter.  This was a special treat for us as we never got cold cereal and we always had wheat bread.  She had the softest towels.  They always seem to have just come from the store and were fluffy and soft.  I commented to her one time about her towels and she told me that she had to give up other things because she wanted nice towels.  That taught me about how we can have nice things in this world but it will mean a sacrifice in other areas.

Veda Carrie Lindsey Dew

One of my memories of Grandma did not actually happen with my grandmother.  Our family was traveling the country visiting different historical sights.  One night all us children fell asleep in the car.  We were awakened and lead into my great grandmother's home in Tennessee.  I remember being so tired and could just barely walk.  I then heard my grandmother's voice and saw her silhouette in the door way.  I was so relieved she was there.  I felt at home and at peace knowing my grandmother was there to take care of me.  I nestled into bed and slept peacefully the rest of the night.  When I awoke I searched for my grandmother but could not find her.  Instead I met her sister and realized she was the woman who had helped me the night before.  But I will never forget the love I felt for my grandmother and the peace I received knowing she loved me.

Grandma and Grandpa raised 5 children.  Both sons went on missions and 3 of their children were married in the temple.  Of their great grand children 11 served a full time mission and 11 were married in the temple.  What a great legacy.  Grandma and Grandpa were not raised in traditional LDS homes but they taught the gospel to their children and they loved them.  I now see how their teachings have spread to their grandchildren and I see it continuing in their great grandchildren.

I know my grandmother loves me.  I am happy that she is no longer in pain and that she is reunited with her daughter Rebecca as well as a host of family who have already gone one before her.  Goodbye Grandma, I look forward to being in your arms again.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.