Skip to main content

Overcoming Addictions

John Derek and I played Jenga.  I enjoy playing games and he enjoys playing them too.


I am continually amazed at how the Lord works.  This morning my husband volunteere to take the children to school and let me stay home and sleep.  I was delighted.  As I walked to my bedroom I felt the prompting to go sit and the computer and read my scriptures.  I dismissed it and got in bed, thinking surely the Lord will let me sleep.  I then had that thought that maybe the Lord wanted to tell me something and I should go listen.  That got me out of bed and I sat down at the computer.  I was drawn to a video about addictions on lds.org entitled Redeeming the Dead Redeamed Me.  I watched it and then turned back to my blog and read Stephanie Nielsen's blog about overcoming Pain Meds.  Which lead me to an artical by Elder Ballard entitled: O That Cunning Plan of the Evil One.  I have been dealing with the addiction to food.  This part of the artical really gave me hope:

To those who are dealing with an addiction personally or within your family, I repeat, fervent prayer is key to gaining the spiritual strength to find peace and overcome an addictive craving. Heavenly Father loves all of His children, so thank Him and express sincere faith in Him. Ask Him for the strength to overcome the addiction you are experiencing. Set aside all pride and turn your life and your heart to Him. Ask to be filled with the power of Christ’s pure love. You may have to do this many times, but I testify to you that your body, mind, and spirit can be transformed, cleansed, and made whole, and you will be freed. Jesus said, “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life” (John 8:12).

I can do that.  I can pray.  I know that my Savior has the power to change me.  I know it will not be easy but it is possible.  I know that I can find better uses of my time and energy than eating.  And as I do find pray for strength it will be given to me and I can succeed and have the clarity that I am seeking for, the patience and good habbits I want to instill in my children.  I know that the Atonement works and that my Savior does love me and wants to help.  I am grateful for a Father in Heaven who encourages me to get out of bed and move forward with Faith.  I love Him and desire to do the things that would make Him happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.