Skip to main content

Anniversary Trip Day 1/Powers of Heaven




 Derek and I have been married for 15 years.  We thought this was pretty significant and decided to go to Ashville, NC and see the Biltmore House.  Thursday we drove down to the mountains and took a hike to Little Bradly Falls.

The forecast for all three days was rain.  But when we arrived at the trail head the rain stopped.  We were not exactly sure where the trail head was since it is not marked.  We parked our car where we thought the trail was and changed shoes to begin our hike.  We were then joined by 3 young people who directed us to another trail head that was the falls.  We felt blessed to know which trail was the correct one.  We began our hike.  It was beautiful.  The trees were gorgeous and it felt so good to be out in nature.

We had to cross a river which tested our balance, on one crossing Derek slipped on a rock and landed on his back.  We were so grateful that he had his back pack on which protected his back and kept his head from hitting the rock.

We kept hiking and were growing a little concerned about where the falls were.  We could hear them and kind of see them through the trees but there was a huge gorge and we couldn't figure out how we were going to get down to the falls.  We finally climbed down the mountain a little and found ourselves on top of the falls.  There were anchors for ropes on a rock and we saw no way of getting to the bottom.

By this time we had data service and looked up Little Bradly Falls and found that we had indeed taken the Big Bradly Falls trail not the Little.  Furthermore the only way to get down was by a 20 foot long rope.  We decided to go back to the beginning and try the other trail.

Once we got back there were butterflies sitting on the gravel road.  I tried to take a picture but they wouldn't stay still.  Then one of the stopped moving and let me take a picture.  I smiled and turned to Derek.  He said, "I prayed that you would get a photo of the butterfly, just like your Mom prayed to get a photo of a lady bug.  The Lord really does love us and will grant us these tender mercies to show us His love for us."

We then began the next trail which said would only be 20 min.  Well it was more like 45 min.  We passed some old chimneys and could only guess that they were used for moon shine many years ago.  We then arrived at a beautiful falls.  There was even a hearing which flew away for our photos and then returned as we left the falls.

When we got in sight of our car it began to rain.  We again felt so blessed that we were able to get this great hike in in spite of the rain.  By the end we felt that we had a great hike and did not need to go on another one this trip.

How grateful I am for a wonderful husband and best friend to share this fun with.

Tomorrow the Biltmore House.

Over the past few weeks I have been studying patience.  I now feel that patience is a Godly characteristic.  I am amazed at how much patience my Heavenly Father has for me.  I am amazed at my lack of patience for His plan.  But I feel I am learning and will continue to learn.

The last few days I have felt the need to read a book that I read a few years ago.  It is entitled, Drawing on the Powers of Heaven by Grant Von Harrison.  I feel that there is a need in my life to change some of my eating habits.  And I have a hope that my Heavenly Father wants to help me.

Elder Harrison quotes Pres. Benson on pg. viii as saying:  "Men and women who turn their lives over to God will find out that he can make a lot more out of their lives than they can.  He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace.  Whoever will lose his life to God will find he has eternal life."

Each of those blessing listed I would love to have more in my life.  I know that as I continue to do the Lord's will I will be blessed.  I no longer have the hope that things will work out, but I have the knowledge that when I am in the Lord's work everything will work out and it does.  I have complete faith and trust in Him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.