Skip to main content

TV Fast-The Outcome

It has been 3 months since we had our TV Fast.  Here is what I learned:

I am dependent on electronics for babysitting and entertaining my children.  The fast was not only hard for the kids but hard for me.  I also missed sitting together as a family and watching something on a low key night.

My kids are more creative without electronics.  Elizabeth wrote more songs, Samantha and Maddie did more crafts, John Derek even worked on a few projects.

My kids are nicer without electronics.  There were not so many fights.  They were more willing to be around each other and got along.  We still had fights and so forth but overall things were more harmonious.  

My kids interacted more.  Elizabeth especially spent more time with us.  She was not always up in her room or somewhere watching her phone but was playing with the kids and asking how she could help.  Samantha also was more interactive and not so sedentary.

We played a lot more games together as a family.  We interacted more because we had to.

I was not able to do all that I wanted to do.  I was having to entertain a lot more and had a hard time getting my "stuff" done.

Michael is addicted to electronics.  He was hard to entertain and keep busy.  

Evenings could get crazy especially around dinner time.  And sometimes the kids would get so loud.

Now the true question is: Why do we have electronics back in our lives?

It is immediately easier.  We don't get the begging and the pleading and the frustration as much immediately.  Instead we get it after.  It is entertainment.  It is hard to not have.

How I wish we could be:

We would only have a small amount of time allowed on electronics.  Maybe 1/2 to 1 hour a day if at all.  We would have family movie nights occasionally but it would be when the whole family could watch and we would not be allowed to be on other devices during the movie.  I would have the strength to "entertain" my children and keep them busy and occupied.  We would go on more family walks and do more family activities.  

It is a continual battle.  Electronics are part of the world we live in.  The kids are always doing homework on them, they are used for communication, gathering knowledge, and entertainment.  There is a lot of fun out there.  But I worry about the waste of time.  The talents we are loosing because we are on electronics.

Since going back on electronics I have noticed Elizabeth is not around as much, Samantha is sitting in a chair playing Mindcraft, John Derek is hooked on You Tube, Maddie and Michael are fighting about what to watch and I have a hard time turning it off.

I do have faith in my Father in Heaven.  I know He will guide me and direct me to know what to do that our family may be saved in the Celestial Kingdom.  I will keep working with Him to find the best thing for our family.  And I WILL NOT EXPECT PERFECTION!! (That is a reminder to me, that there is not perfect way, there is no complete way, it will and must change with life.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.