Skip to main content

Maddie's Shopkin Party/Time as an Investment

 Maddie Celebrated her 8th Birthday on Friday!  She had a Shopkin Party and had so much fun!!


Elizabeth Made the Cute Cupcake Ice Cream Cones

Daddy helped with the Pinjata, photography, and mom's sanity.

Elizabeth also made a punch out box for the girls to punch and then get prizes.  It was a huge hit.

Samantha painted a "Pin the Sprinkle on the Shopkin."

Mommy Made a Strawberry Shopkin Pinjata.  It reminded me of when my mom would make us pinjatas at almost every party.

Samantha instructed the girls on painting a letter.  They all wore garbage bag smocks and had a delightful time.

Elizabeth and Samantha really put the party on.  We got the house decorated and then the girls took over.  What amazing daughters I have.

On Monday for Family Home Evening we talked about the 5 Love Languages.  I had us all take a test so that we could discover what our love language is and be able to help each other feel loved. The results were very eyeopening.

Derek--Physical Touch and Quality Time
Lexia--Words of Affirmation and Quality Time
Elizabeth--Words of Afirmation and Quality Time
John Derek--Quality Time and Receiving Gifts
Samantha--Quality Time and Receiving Gifts
Maddison--Quality Time and Receiving Gifts
Michael--Quality Time and Receiving Gifts

WOW!  Did you notice a pattern?  This really hit me hard.  These were not the ways I wanted my kids to feel loved.  They probably feel loved those ways because those expressions of love are not given out as often as service and words of affirmation.

Receiving Gifts--I am very guarded in how I spend my money.  My kids know I am "stingy" and so if I spend money on them it is a big deal.  So how do I show them love without breaking the bank?

Quality Time--I am also notorious for multi tasking and I have a hard time giving my full attention to my kids.  So when I do they eat it up.  But then I get overwhelmed because I feel like they just crave more and more and I get overwhelmed and clamp up and pull back thus taking that time away from them and leaving them wanting more.

I am definitely in my overwhelmed frustrated, everything's my fault and I can't do anything right state of mind.  I am feel that my time is not spent wisely and having a hard time focusing on anything and knowing where to spend my time.  I usually just freeze up and eat and don't do anything or piddle around.  Okay I am rambling. . . .

Today I was listening to a book by Elder Eyring entitled, Because He First Loved Us.  In the second chapter he talks about time.  He tells us that we have to change our mentality about time. That time is an asset the Lord has given us.  He encourages us to invest is wisely and then we will have a wonderful return on our investment but if we waste it and spend it on the wrong things we will have to use more of it in ways that will not bring us happiness.

What an interesting idea.  I think as I have pushed my kids away in order to get more "me" time I have actually caused me to loose the "me" time because I have to do so much for them that they can't do on their own because I haven't taught them.  When I don't teach and don't encourage and try to multitask, thinking I am getting more things done, I am actually causing them to need me more, to be more dependent on me so that when I do give them some time they smother me.

I don't know how to "fix" it yet.  But I like the idea of investing my time in my children so that some day I will get a great return, I hope that return will be love and enjoyment from being together.

Elder Eyring continues to talk about how we need to do 3 things.  We need to have Confidence in God that what He asks us to spend our time on will be the best thing for us and that we need God to have Confidence in us that we will do what He asks of us, and we need to instill in others Confidence in God.  This is what I do want for my kids.  I want them to have confidence in God and that He can have Confidence in them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

My Daughter/Compliments From Up Above

Sunday I took a walk with the kids up to the park.  Elizabeth started to complain about how hard things are because we have such a big family and how if we wouldn't have had as many children as we do things would be so much easier for her.  I remember feeling the same way when I was her age. I said a silent prayer for the right words to say.  We talked about how the person who makes her the most happy is Michael.  She loves to be with him.  The first person she wants to see in the morning is him, when she gets home from school he is the first to get a hug.  She is really good at taking care of him and helping him with his needs.  She is such a nurturer and will make a fantastic mom.  If anyone needs a good babysitter I highly recommend her. As we talked her heart was touched.  I love it when as a mother you can reach into your child's soul and help sooth a trouble.  I was grateful for that experience. The Infinite Atonement (Illustrated Edition) by Tad R. Callistar