Skip to main content

I've Been Watching You

Today I was driving home from the grocery store when the song Watching You, by Rodney Atkins came on.  I've always enjoyed this song about a dad who realizes the impact his example, good and bad, has on his little boy.

As I listened to the song I wondered how I was doing as a parent and began thinking about all the ways I fall behind when immediately the Lord reminded me of how I am teaching my kids to pray and then I had an overwhelming sense of love from Him.  A love that told me I am doing good, that He is proud of me, and that He loves me.  He dispelled my doubts and let me feel for a few moments His amazing love for me.

As the song continued I began to cry as I heard the words: "I've been watching you, dad, ain't that cool?" and I though about how I watch my Father in Heaven.  I felt Him tell me that He does enjoy my prayers "like he was talking to a friend."  Then I thought about how I do look at my Father in Heaven and I do want to be like him and "grow as tall as you are," and be "strong as Superman," because how can I get any stronger than the strength of my Father.  That "we'll be just alike . . . when I do everything you do" and that my Father has given me that opportunity and that example.  How grateful I am for a loving Father in Heaven and His tender moments to let me know He loves me.

Driving through town, just my boy and me
With a happy meal in his booster seat
Knowing that he couldn't have the toy
Till his nuggets were gone
A green traffic light turned straight to red
I hit my brakes and mumbled under my breath
As fries went a flying and his orange drink covered his lap
Well, then my four year old said a four letter word
That started with "s, " and I was concerned
So I said, "Son, now where did you learn to talk like that?"
He said, "I've been watching you, dad, ain't that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food, and grow as tall as you are
We got cowboy boots and camo pants
Yeah, we're just alike, hey, ain't we dad?
I wanna do everything you do
So I've been watching you."
We got back home, and I went to the barn
I bowed my head, and I prayed real hard
Said, "Lord, please help me help my stupid self."
Then this side of bedtime later that night
Turning on my son's Scooby Doo night light
He crawled out of bed, and he got down on his knees
He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands
And spoke to God like he was talking to a friend
And I said, "Son, now where'd you learn to pray like that?"
He said, "I've been watching you, dad, ain't that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food, and grow as tall as you are
We like fixing things and holding mama's hand
Yeah, we're just alike, hey, ain't we, dad?
I wanna do everything you do
So I've been watching you."
With tears in my eyes, I wrapped him in a hug
Said, "My little bear is growing up."
He said, "But when I'm big, I'll still know what to do."
"'Cause I've been watching you, dad, ain't that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food, and grow as tall as you are
Then I'll be as strong as Superman
We'll be just alike, hey, won't we, dad?
When I can do everything you do
'Cause I've been watching you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.