Skip to main content

Prayer

Yesterday I decided that we had had too many electronics on Saturday which had caused  lot of bad attitudes Saturday night and the attitudes were beginning again Sunday morning, so we would take a break for the Sabbath.  The kids complained but soon resorted to my wishes.

I went to wake Elizabeth for Church and went a head and told her my idea.  She didn't take it well.  We talked, we fumed, and she would not budge.  Knowing that I had a choice between giving her the phone or having her go to church I decided church was more important.  So I relented and gave her the phone but she still refused to get ready for church.  I threatened consequences but nothing.  During this time I had been praying for help and kept being assured that I was doing fine.  I asked again if the consequences I was about to give her were correct, but instead received direction to praise her.



I took a list of things I had written that I like about Elizabeth and sat down in her room and praised her.  I talked about how she has a good spirit in her heart and that spirit desires to feel God's love.  That is why she gets so frustrated when she can't seem to feel her Father in Heaven's love, because she remembers what it feels like and can't feel it.

She talked about how she has dreams of becoming a singer and actress and that He doesn't support her in those dreams.  I told her about my dream to be in the advanced choir in my high school and how I didn't make it.  I then had the thought that if I would have been in that choir I would have made some good friends and probably roomed with them when I went to Ricks. But because I didn't have any good friends going to Ricks I took my chances on my roommates and met my best friend Kelly.  We talked about how I had influenced Kelly's life and about who she is today.  I wouldn't trade my friendship with Kelly and how her life turned out for anything, not even getting into the advanced choir.

Elizabeth is truly an amazing girl and it was delightful to sing her praises, see the spirit touch her, see the tears in her eyes knowing she is of worth, and telling her that we are leaving in 15 min. and she got up without complaint and got ready.  I am so grateful to a Father in Heaven who leads and guides me and makes Sunday a better day than it could have been.

We had fast and testimony meeting.  Samantha jumped up and bore her testimony.  She talked about how she was brushing her hair the other day and that she hates brushing her hair.  As she brushed she thought about the knots in her hair and compaired them to the trials that she has to face.  She doesn't want to face the trials but if she keeps brushing the knots they will eventually come out.  And how grateful she was for her Father in Heaven's help.  It was an adorable medaphore for an almost 12 year old.

I then got up and talked about prayer and how I am grateful for it.

JD then got up and talked about how it has been hard going to a new school and not having friends, but that Heavenly Father has helped him gain friends.

Then wonder of wonders Elizabeth got up and talked about how she is in high school and has been a little scared but that volleyball has been so good for her and has been like a family for her, how the ward is like a family for her and how grateful she is for her family especially her mom.  That I am an inspiration to her.

I am again grateful to my Father in Heaven for His constant love and support.

Prayer--LDS Topics

"Make our prayers meaningful. The prophet Mormon warned that if anyone “shall pray and not with real intent of heart … it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such” (Moroni 7:9). To make our prayers meaningful, we must pray with sincerity and “with all the energy of heart” (Moroni 7:48). We must be careful to avoid “vain repetitions” when we pray (see Matthew 6:7)."

I would like to find an image to think about when I pray to my Father in Heaven.  I know He is there but I don't ever picture myself actually talking to Him and sometimes when I pray I don't focus enough on Him and my prayers get jumbled in my other thoughts and soon I end the prayer because I haven't any focus.

"Seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost so we will know what to include in our prayers. The Holy Ghost can teach us to pray and guide us in the things we say (see Romans 8:262 Nephi 32:83 Nephi 19:9, 24). He can help us pray “according to the will of God” (D&C 46:30)."

That is a good idea.  I would like to increase my asking what to pray for, especially when it comes to the sacrament.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.