Skip to main content

Road Trip 2016

I am so grateful past two and a half weeks are completed.  It was very hard on me trying to figure out this car situation.  We had been looking for over 2 months for a 2013 Honda Odyssey but things kept not working out.  After several days of "waiting until tomorrow" we were blessed by our Father in Heaven and guided to look for a new car.  With only 3 days to go until we left we contacted our dealer Monday night expressing our desire for a car we had looked into a few days before.  Just as we put down our deposit we were informed the car we wanted had already been sold.  After much prayer and deliberation we ended up with a 2016 Honda Odyssey Touring.  This is not the car or the price tag we were thinking we would get.  

As Derek and I drove to the dealer Thursday morning, the day after we had planned to leave, we discussed our feelings. The scripture in 3 Nephi kept coming into my head "If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"  I truly feel that this is a gift from our Father in Heaven.  It is overwhelming to know how much money we spent and will spend on the car but once we decided on this car things worked out.  Before that we ran into one problem after another.  Through out the process I had an overwhelming sence that it would all work out.  But until everything was settled I could not relax or focus. 

After picking up our new car I drove home loaded the car and drove away to Utah.  We had a good trip.  Mom was there to help me out and keep me company.  She was a trooper and drove most of the way.  The kids loved the DVD player and they really were good.  We had a good time.  We even drove to Annelise's home in New Mexico and stayed Sunday with her.  

I sent a text to some of our family members, keeping them posted on our progress:

Good morning family!! First I want to thank you all for your love and prayers these past few weeks.  It has been a roller coaster getting this new car.  If you would have told me that I  would be cruising across the country in such luxury I would have laughed.  But we truly are enjoying it and feel it is a blessing from our Father in Heaven the giver of all good gifts.

Thanks also to all those who are helping out with Elizabeth.  We could not do this without you.

If any of you don't know Elizabeth made the JV Volleyball team as a freshman.  She is excited.  She is staying in NC with her dad until next Saturday when they will fly out for our family reunion.
  
My mom is with us and I am so grateful.  I don't think I could have crossed the country without her.


We are just outside Silverpoint, TN where my grandmother grew up.  Here is a picture of the house my grandpa built and the near by lake.


ĵ



 Michael just told me "Mom, I love this car, it has a TV and a remote.  I love this car?"


Here are a couple of highlights from today.  After trying to find a rest area in Texas with working facilites ended up at a Flying J ad decided to have lunch in our car as we drove.  Samantha was in the middle so she took on the job of taking orders.  She even decided to look the part by putting on headphones and a reading light.  "Welcome to the Thornton Cafe."


We also found ourselves on Route 66.  We can't believe we forgot to bring the movie Cars to watch so we decided to go visit "Radiator Springs."


We found this little town Tucumcari, NM that still had a lot of the old buildings.  It was delightful to drive down main street.


At one point we drove off the highway to find a rest room and ended up at the train tracks where Lighning McQueen "raced" the oncoming train.


We visited Aunt Annelise, who lives right off Route 66.  There are free range cows and horses everywhere so they have to have cattle guards so that they won't go into her complex.  The kids thought walking across the guard was fun.


 Here is the Salt Lake Valley!  We made it!! Thanks for your prayers!!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.