Skip to main content

Cub Scout Day Camp

This morning I spent some time reading some posts that I had written a year ago.  It was delightful to be reminded of things that have happened in my life and the blessings that I have received.

One of the posts talked about me volunteering at Cub Scout Day Camp.  That was a difficult experience for me and really put a bad taste in my mouth for this camp.  When asked if he wanted to do it again John Derek was so excited.  So we signed up again and my frustrations began to return.  From forms needing to be filled out to scheduling to volunteering I was frustrated.  The night before I had to volunteer I was so frustrated and mad and irritated with the whole process.  I couldn't understand why things weren't done better and easier.  Derek was sweet and patient with me and put me to bed, knowing a lot of my frustration was exhaustion.

Driving home from the Lake House.  What cute Boys!!


The next day John Derek, Michael, and I went to camp.  I had not been able to get our doctors to fill out the last page of our medical history and was worried they would not let us in without it.  I expressed my concern to JD as we went to the church.  He was noticeably upset, then paused and said, "I'm going to say a prayer."  So he prayed that we could attend camp and the medical forms would not be a problem.

When we arrived at camp, they asked for the forms, I handed them in, and nothing else was said.  I felt so blessed!!  I was then put in with the Bear group.  At first I was frustrated as I found out the adult that was supposed to be with the boys all week was not there yet, so it was just me.  Then about an hour later I was humbled to find out that she had just broken her foot and was at the doctors office.  After that my attitude changed.  I saw how hard these people worked for this.  How much time and energy they put into it.  They were just a brother and sister team and had to put on this whole camp without compensation.  They really did a great job.  They had great classes, fun activities, and the boys were loving it.  I was even trying to figure out if I could come another day and help out.  It really was good.
Elizabeth helping Michael swim at the last meet.  She is a Jr. Assistant Coach this year!

Then as I picked up Elizabeth from swim practice and she saw how tired I was she volunteered to pay for pizza for the family.  It was very sweet.  She is an awesome girl.  What a blessing she is.

I really do have good kids!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.