Skip to main content

Word of Wisdom

Today I met with my daughter's doctor.  He is helping us medicate her for her anxiety.  What I really like about this doctor is that he is looking at the whole picture.  He has started her on a slew of vitamins and ordered a bunch of blood work.  The blood work results came back and he said that he is concerned about a few things.  There is potential for a major diet change in her life that will effect the rest of the family from a few different sources.  He has ordered more blood work so we will see what happens.  




As I was reading my scriptures today I read from Chapter 3 of Jesus the Christ by, James E. Talmage.  I think this is just what I needed at this moment.  Talmage talks about the Word of Wisdom, that we have been told not to put certain substances into our bodies and yet we do.  Just as Adam and Eve were told not to put certain substances into their bodies and yet they did.  Just as Adam and Eve were told that these substances could shorten their lives so we have been told that certain substances, if consumed, could shorten our lives.  

It really made me feel that we need to eat more healthy in our family.  I honest just don't know how to change.  Maybe it is a matter of not trying to be perfect.  Being okay with falling but then getting back on the horse.  I know Heavenly Father has a plan for our family and if I search for it He will present it to me.

3. 
The Fall Process of Physical Degeneracy.—A modern revelation given to the Church in 1833 (D&C 89), prescribes rules for 
right living, particularly as regards the uses of stimulants, narcotics, and foods 
unsuited to the body. Concerning the physical causes by which the fall was 
brought about, and the close relation between those causes and current violations of the Word of Wisdom embodied in the revelation referred to above, the 
following is in point. “This, [the Word of Wisdomlike other revelations that have 
come in the present dispensation, is not wholly new.It is as old as the human race. The principle of the Word of Wisdom was revealed unto Adam. All the essentials of the Word of Wisdom were made known unto him in his immortal state, before he had taken into his body those things that made of it thing of earth. He was 
warned against that very practice. He was not told to treat his body as something to be tortured. He was not told to look upon it as the fakir of India has come to 
look upon his body, or professes to look upon it, as thing to be utterly 
condemned;but he was told that he must not take into that body certain things 
which were there at hand. He was warned that, if he did, his body would lose the power which it then held of living for ever, and that he would become subject to 
death. It was pointed out to him, as it has been pointed out to you, that there are many good fruits to be plucked, to be eaten, to be enjoyed. We believe in 
enjoying good food. We think that these good things are given us of God. We 
believe in getting all the enjoyment out of eating that we can; and, therefore, we 
should avoid gluttony, and we should avoid extremes in all our habits of eating;
and as was told unto Adam, so is it told unto us:Touch not these things, for in the day that thou does't it thy life shall be shortened and thou shalt die.

“Here let me say that therein consisted the fall--the eating of things unfit, the taking into the body of the things that made of that body thing of earth: . . . . It is true that they disobeyed the law of God, in eating things they were told not to eat; but who amongst you can rise up and condemn?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.