Skip to main content

Beauty and the Beast

For Christmas Santa gave Elizabeth a ticket to Disney's Beauty and the Beast the Traveling Broadway Musical.  Santa arranged to go with our cousins, aunts and uncle and sister and spend the weekend with them.

Friday I picked Elizabeth up from school and raced to Virginia to beat a storm that was blowing in.  I was nervous that it would interfere with the show.  On the way we listened to the Broadway Musical Alexander Hamilton.  Elizabeth and her cousins are obsessed with this musical and listen to it constantly but I had never listened to the whole thing.

The musical was a fun idea and very creative in its use of words and music.  I had to ask my aunt lots of questions to be able to understand exactly what was going on, but now I do know more about our Founding Father Alexander Hamilton.


We LOVED Beauty and the Beast.  The best part was seeing Elizabeth's jaw dropped through the different scene.  When it was over she said, "That is exactly what I want to do, to act in a musical like this and on TV."

While watching the musical I had a "Aha!" moment.  When I watch anything or read anything or listen to anything I look for the things they should not have, words, scenes, immodest costumes, innuendos, etc.  I want to be aware of them and make sure that I am disappointed in the production because of those items.  Because I know it could be done a better way without the need of inappropriate things.  

As there were some innuendos and immodest costumes in the musical I realized that I was focusing so much on my disappointment in the inclusion of these items that I was missing the beauty of the musical.  Instead of focusing on what is immodest or dwelling on how they should not have put that in I needed to see the whole picture.  To realize that the world is involved in what we see and view so it will not be up to my standards but by dwelling on those things I allow them to preoccupy my mind and don't just dismiss them.  I am actually making it worse by thinking of these things than by letting them go since I have no control over them.  I should not dwell on it.  That the dwelling is what Satan wants me to do with that information and instead I need to see it and then dismiss it. It is that idea of being in the world but not of the world.


I will still be guarded in what I watch, read, and listen to but I will not dwell on it.  If something is indead wrong I will close the book, turn off the movie, or walk out if I need to but I will not dwell.  Instead I will look for the good, see the beauty, and enjoy the moment.

Elizabeth and I had an absolute wonderful time.  We loved being with family.  My favorite part was on the way home.  Elizabeth asked some really good questions and we were able to have a really good open discussion.  I felt very blessed to have that time alone with her.  She is a wonderful young woman and I am so privileged to be her mother.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.