Skip to main content

My Standard/Testimony

Yesterday was hard.  I have been riding an emotional roller coaster the past little while and yesterday it was very apparent.

There is a movie that my children have wanted to watch for a long time.  It is one of those that I don't feel comfortable seeing or having my children see but most people find it wonderful and enjoyable.  It has one part that I don't like and because of it I have not allowed my children to watch this show, much to their dismay.

Yesterday the show ended up at my home, I knew that in the near future we were going to have to watch the show because of other circumstances and I felt that it was inevitable.  Never the less I struggled to know if it was the right thing to do.  Then I remembered that I have ClearPlay and that it will delete anything inappropriate so I allowed my children to watch the show.  I disappeared upstairs so that I wouldn't have to deal with it.



But of course I came down right at that scene and ClearPlay wasn't taking it out so I had to come over and forward the movie.  This brought criticism from my children and others.  I felt I had to justify over and over again what was wrong and why I didn't like it.  For the rest of the day my heart was in turmoil, did I do the right thing, am I being too picky, is the scene really not as bad as I think it is?  Lots of questions.

Wit the state of my emotions I couldn't let this go and I kept analyzing it over and over again.  Finally Derek, who had seen me going through this, took me in his arms and told me that if this movie obviously disturbed my spirit so much then it was not a movie we should watch in our home.  This brought me comfort.  And then this morning I was praying about this and had the words of my patriarchal blessing go through my mind, "never go to movies, or plays that would grieve the Spirit."  This reminded me that the Spirit should be my deciding guideline.  That if I don't feel comfortable then I shouldn't watch it and I should be okay with that.

I am grateful to a Heavenly Father who loves me and supports me and reminds me that I am loved.

Ether 6:5-9

"5  And it came to pass that the Lord God caused that there should be a furious wind blow upon the face of the waters, towards the promised land; and thus they were tossed upon the waves of the sea before the wind.

6  And it came to pass that they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind.

7  And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish, and also they were tight like unto the ark of Noah; therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters.

8  And it came to pass that the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land while they were upon the waters; and thus they were driven forth before the wind.

9  And they did sing praises unto the Lord; yea, the brother of Jared did sing praises unto the Lord, and he did thank and praise the Lord all the day long; and when the night came, they did not cease to praise the Lord."
Can this be compared to us? I think that the vessels are like our testimony. As we read the scriptures, pray, and serve the Lord we have a protection around us. It doesn't prevent us from having trials, the winds of the world still blow, we are sometimes buried in the depths of our trials and weaknesses. We are still hurt from being thrown around and we are still scared and doubt if our testimony or our vessel is strong enough. But as we stand firm the Lord brings us back on top. We will see the sunlight again and arrive in the Lord's promised land.

Through these trials the Lord keeps us continually moving forward.

As we thank or Father in Heaven we will be given the peace that we need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.