Skip to main content

Bishop's Wife

I ran into a woman today who's husband is a bishop.  We started talking about being the wife of a bishop, the ups, the downs, the how do you?, the what do you do?, it was good.  Then she caught me off guard when she said, "but don't you think the blessings outweigh the difficulty?"  I decided that I needed to write down what blessings I am receiving while my husband is in this calling:

The biggest thing I have seen in myself is my patience incerase.  Now I still loose it from time to time, but I can tell it is not as much, that when things happen my patience is so much greater, I don't react with so much harshness but with patience and love.  Even when I am in the middle of something that should make me so upset I stand in awe about how well I am handeling the situation and know that is a gift from Heavenly Father.

We felt the need to involve our children in several afterschool activities.  One day I realized that I would need to be 3 places on Tuesday's at 5:30.  I knew this would be impossible.  But things worked out.  One activity was changed to another day, one activity had a friend who could give a ride, and that left one for me to do.  I was just amazed at how the Lord saw my need and met it.

Bedtime goes so much smoother than it should.  Bedtime and I don't get along very well.  I am tired and done and no one else but me wants to go to sleep.  We still have our difficult nights but overall things work smoothly.  Again my patience increases, my love for my children in strengthened, I am able to help them with their issues and we work it out without yelling and screaming.

I had to go on medication because of my PMDD.  But I was directed to a medication that the doctor did not suggest.  I started taking the medication and have never had to change the medication or the dosage.  It has worked and it worked in just the way I needed with little side effects.  

One of our children was dealing with a lot of anxiety.  Derek and I were easily directed to someone who could help us out with that.  After several months of counseling that child is doing great.  She occasionally has a difficult time but we know how to work through it, again my patience and love for this child increases and we are blessed.  We no longer have to go to counseling and things are going well.

One of our children was dealing with learning problems.  Again, we were guided and directed in the way we should go.  I was given strength to discuss ideas with teachers and things worked out so smoothly.  As I saw my neighbor go through the same process and the difficulty they had to go through I was amazed at how blessed we really were.

One child has had repeated injuries and people have been there to stand next to me, have been there to support me, to give blessings, even if my husband could not.  I did not feel alone and the injuries were minimal, nothing like what they should have been.

The Savior is becoming my best firend.  I have learned that I cannot go to Derek for every little thing, like I have in the past.  I have learned to rely on the Savior.  I have learned to hear Him more clearly.  I feel like we walk together and He answers my little prayers about dinner, or homework, or laundry, etc.  I feel that He is always there for me in a way I have never felt before.

Somehow our finances are working out.  We have been so busy with everything that we just have time to pay bills, but somehow the finances are working out.  As I purchase items I consult the Lord, he answers and somehow our budget works.  I know that this can only be accomplished because of the Lord.

The time I spend with my husband is more precious.  I don't want to cloud it with little anoyances or problems.  If we have to discuss something I want to discuss it and move on.  If he is here I want to be in his arms knowing that everything will work out.

It all works out.  We know this so much more than we ever have before.  We have seen the Lord's hand in everything that we do.  I still feel like I am treading water and can't ever get it all done, but I know that what is important will work out and that what is not will filter away.

I am enjoying my children more.  I spend more time with them, listen to them better, treat them kinder.  We have to pull as a family more.  

There is a Spirit in my home that I have never felt before.  My husband truly has had a mantel placed upon his shoulders that has also been placed upon our family.  The Spirit is stronger, we still have fighting, we still have problems but the Spirit is here and we are blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.