Skip to main content

Every Day Miracles/Power in Motherhood

I went to the grocery store.  It is so easy for me to spend money at the grocery store.  I have gotten into the habit of praying before I go to the store, that I won't buy stuff that we don't need and that I will use the money wisely that my Heavenly Father has given our family.  As I prayed I asked that I would spend around $150.00.  I did not have time to add things up as I went along.  I had to grab what I needed and then get to preschool to pick up Maddie.  I rushed through getting most of what I had planned and a few extras that I felt we needed.  When I got to the register to pay the cashier said: "That will be One Fifty and Twenty One."  I looked at the register in shock.  Sure enough the total was $150.21.  I felt so blessed.  Just another miracle that God is there, He is listening and I am important to Him as are YOU!!



About fifty years ago, Mr. F. M. Bareham wrote the following: 

"A century ago men were following with bated breath the march of Napoleon and waiting with feverish impatience for news of the wars. And all the while in their homes babies were being born. But who could think about babies? Everybody was thinking about battles. 

"In one year between Trafalgar and Waterloo there stole into the world a host of heroes: Gladstone was born in Liverpool; Tennyson at the Somersby Rectory, and Oliver Wendell Holmes in Massachusetts. Abraham Lincoln was born in Kentucky, and music was enriched by the advent of Felix Mendelssohn in Hamburg." 

And we might add, and Joseph Smith was born in Vermont, four years earlier.
Quoting Bareham further: 

"But nobody thought of babies, everybody was thinking of battles. Yet which of the battles of 1809 mattered more than the babies of 1809? We fancy God can manage his world only with great battalions, when all the time he is doing it with beautiful babies. 

"When a wrong wants righting, or a truth wants preaching, or a continent wants discovering, God sends a baby into the world to do it." (Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle: pp, 84,85) 

This quote gave me power as a mother.  Who do I have in my home?  What future do my children hold?  How can I tap into their divine potential and help them become what our Father in Heaven has for them?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.