Skip to main content

Samantha's Baptism



Samantha was baptized on Saturday.

I woke up early to study my scriptures.  I wanted to make sure that I felt the Spirit.  I was also concerned that I had not prepared Samantha enough for this experience.  I wondered if she was truly ready and prayed to know that I had done enough.

A few minutes later Samantha came into my room.  She had woken before anyone else and sat next to me.  I had the idea to give her the Journal that we had gotten for her and ask her to put her feelings into the journal.  She was delighted and busily set out writing.

When she was finished she left eager to wake her cousin Abby and get the day started.  I read her journal and was touched by how much she really did know.  How this was her decision and not mine.  A tender mercy of the Lord.
After these quiet moments the day became busy as we got everything in place.  We were blessed to have Annelise here and she kept me realistic.  Derek kept things moving and us on time.  As Derek and I finished packing the bags Samantha came in dressed in her pretty white dress.  

She said, "I don't want to get baptized." 

"But you are 8 and you get to have this wonderful opportunity of being a member of the Church."  Derek said.

"But I don't want to grow up."

I replied, "I have told you over and over again that you have to stop growing and you just haven't listened to me."

At this Samantha whimpered, "But I couldn't help it."


We loved on her and told her to finish getting ready.  She definitely had a mix of excitement and fear as she approached the baptism.  I wondered if we were actually going to get her under the water or if she would chicken out at the last minute.


We got to church in plenty of time and she was jumpy and excited.  Her cousins were there as well as aunts and uncles and friends.  We took pictures and finally settled down for the program.  Sister Judy Clay gave a great talk about baptism and kept asking the children questions.  Samantha would pop her hand up in the air whether she knew the question or not.  If she didn't know the answer Elizabeth, who was sitting behind her, would whisper the answer to her.  Sister Clay mentioned that today these two being baptized would become accountable and this made Samantha a little nervous.


Finally it was time.  Samantha stepped into the water with her Father and was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  As she went down into the water I let out a silent cheer.  She had done it there was no going back.  But as Samantha came out of the water she was in tears.  I wrapped the towel around her and she said, "I don't want to get baptized."  Too late now I thought.  But she continued to cry.  I tired to comfort her as I warmed her and got her dressed but nothing seemed to work.  

We went in for the conformation and Samantha kept crying.  When she was finally asked to come forward to be confirmed she was crying so hard that Derek asked me to kneel next to her and hold her hand.  I did and we were surrounded by loving brethren.  Derek gave the blessing and Gerald, Will, and Heath Thornton, and Jeff Christensen participated in the circle.

Derek blessed her that her fears would be removed and that they would be replaced with the Spirit.  Also that she would be a great leader in the Church helping others learn the gospel.

These were great blessings to me.  I think Samantha needs the Spirit in her life.  That if she will make the Spirit her best friend she will find the comfort and peace that she desires.

Samantha came back to her seat and continued to cry while the other little boy received his blessing.

After the closing prayer Samantha disappeared with her cousins and came back about 3 min. later with a huge smile on her face.  She was happy for the rest of the day.  



Gerald told us later that as Samantha was being given the Holy Ghost he could just see her being a Gospel Doctrine teacher and standing up in Church instructing others.  That he really got a feeling that she is going to be a great leader some day.  He also said that he thought Satan was really trying hard to not let her get the Holy Ghost and that was why she was having such a hard time before the conformation.  Again what a tender mercy.


I am now the mother of 2 accountable children.  I pray that I can teach them correctly and help them learn to follow the Spirit of the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE EXPECTING BABY #5

Yes, you read it correctly. The Thornton Family is expecting a new baby in Dec. 2012. We are very excited. Today we made the announcement to our 4 children and I am sure that each of you heard their screams of excitement. Maddison immediately told us that it was going to be a boy but then after a few minutes decided that we need one boy and one girl. John Derek would like the baby to be a boy so that he can have a brother. Samantha would like the baby to sleep in her room. Elizabeth would like the baby to have brown hair so that more kids in the family would look like her. Then the conversation turned to names. Here are some of their favorites: Elizabeth wants: Sarah, Eva, Evelyn, or Eve, and if it is a boy Phineas or Ferb Samantha wants: Sam or Ammon John Derek wants: Johnny Maddison wants: Cinderella and Johnny So here we go. Taking on a new adventure of 5 children with faith that we are following our Father in Heaven's desires for our family. In this last conference Pres. P

Elizabeth

My darling Elizabeth is so wonderful.  At Church I had the pleasure of talking to different people about the great girl she is.  I was in the mother's room, feeding Michael, and talked to two other moms.  We were discussing the joys and difficulties of raising children.  I talked about how I couldn't do it without my Elizabeth.  How she is my right hand.  She is so good and stepping in and making breakfast or lunch.  She loves to make pancakes with chocolate chips.  She is great with Michael.  I know that I can give him to her and he will be well taken care of.  As soon as we pull into the garage she exclaims, "I'll get Michael!" then leaps out of the car and takes him out.  I don't know what I would do without her.  When Michael was first born and I was constantly feeding, sleeping, and trying to hold the house together she did so much.  She was such a huge help.  She is going to be a great mother some day.  She is so good at talking to children and

Awards October 2014

My wonderful daughter Elizabeth is doing so great in school.  She has a 4.0.  Friday she received 3 awards at their quarterly award ceremony: High Honor Roll for having a 4.0, Outstanding Participation in her computer class, and the SPLASH award: S - Self Control, P - Pride, L - Leadership, A - Attitude, S - Safety, H - Honesty.  What a great girl I have.  I am so proud of her.  She is a great daughter, she helps me so much.  I could not be the mom I am today without her help.